History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Benedict

A Grade II Listed Building in Candlesby with Gunby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1833 / 53°10'59"N

Longitude: 0.177 / 0°10'37"E

OS Eastings: 545574

OS Northings: 367341

OS Grid: TF455673

Mapcode National: GBR LWW.HKT

Mapcode Global: WHJLZ.P7HZ

Entry Name: Church of St Benedict

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359683

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196011

Location: Candlesby with Gunby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Candlesby with Gunby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Candlesby St Benedict

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Firsby

Listing Text

TF 46 NE CANDELSBY CHURCH STREET
(south side)

5/10 Church of
St. Benedict
3.2.67
II


Parish church. 1838, by E. D. Rainey of Spilsby. Yellow/orange
brick in Flemish bond, ashlar dressings, slate roof. Western
tower, nave, chancel, vestry. 2 stage tower with plinth, string
bands, plain parapet, angle pinnacles. Planked west door in
chamfered pointed ashlar surround with moulded hood. To the
belfry stage narrow pointed louvred lights. On the north side a
rectangular slit window. Side walls of the nave have plinth, and
3 single pointed lights with hood moulds. The chancel has a
blocked priest's door and in the east end a triple lancet. On
the south side of the tower an added vestry. Interior retains a
single chamfered tower doorway with above a blank pointed niche.
Chancel arch is moulded. and pointed in ashlar, dying to the
reveals. Polychromatic tiles throughout. Deal pews, octagonal
open pulpit, fluted Doric pillars and moulded cornice. Plain
octagonal font.


Listing NGR: TF4557467341

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.