History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Candlesby with Gunby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1783 / 53°10'41"N

Longitude: 0.1963 / 0°11'46"E

OS Eastings: 546876

OS Northings: 366826

OS Grid: TF468668

Mapcode National: GBR LWX.NG3

Mapcode Global: WHJLZ.ZCMT

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359687

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196030

Location: Candlesby with Gunby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Candlesby with Gunby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Gunby St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Firsby

Listing Text

TF 46 NE GUNBY GUNBY PARK

5/29 Church of St.Peter

32.67

G.V. II*


Parish church. Rebuilt 1870 in Early English style by James
Fowler. Squared limestone rubble, Collyweston slate roof with
decorative clay ridqe tiles. Western tower, organ chamber,
chancel, south porch, vestry. 3 stage squat tower with stepped
corner buttresses, offset top stage on moulded corbels,
battlemented parapet, corner griffins. 2 light bell openings
with trefoils in chamfered surrounds. On south side a facetted
stair tower with Caernarvon arched door. West lancet, above a
rectangular light. On the north side of the nave a pair and a
single lancet, with quatrefoils. In the north chapel a further
similar pair of lights to the west, with trefoil over and a
lancet to the north. On the east side a further lancet, and 2
doorways, one arched. The chancel east window is of 3 cusped
lights, with geometric head. In the chancel south wall are 2
lancets. The nave south wall has a pair of 2 light windows, one
with trefoil the over with quatrefoil. The qabled south porch
has pointed moulded outer arch, dyinq to reveals. All principal
openings have hollow chamfered hoods with foliated stops. The
inner doorway is chamfered and pointed. Interior. Double
chamfered tower arch on moulded corbels. The chancel arch is
similar but with elaborate leafy corbels. On the north side of
the nave is a low Tudor arch to the organ chamber. In the
chancel is a pair of pointed doorways on the north side and a
trefoil headed piscina. Minton tiled floor to chancel and aisle.
The chancel east window has fine early C20 stained glass, to
commemmorate Marqaret Massinqberd d.1906, of Gunby Hall. The
central light contains a portrait of the deceased. The fittings
are all C19, including octaqonal font in C13 style with blank
pointed arcades to base and stone pulpit. Monuments. In the
nave a pair of fine brasses beneath a double canopy to Thomas
Massinqberd of Gunby and Johanna his wife, d.c.1405, and one to
Judqe William Lodynton d,1420, feet on a doq, under a cusped oqee
canopy. In the tower a brass plate with Roccocco surround in
rectangular frame to Thomas Massingberd aged 47 years, d.l552,
and 2 C19 marble wall plaques.


Listing NGR: TF4687666826

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.