History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Midville, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0925 / 53°5'33"N

Longitude: 0.0664 / 0°3'58"E

OS Eastings: 538470

OS Northings: 357032

OS Grid: TF384570

Mapcode National: GBR KWK.5L7

Mapcode Global: WHHL5.ZJRJ

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Last Amended: 17 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359743

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196240

Location: Midville, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE22

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Midville

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Eastville St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Toynton All Saints

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 18/06/2015

TF 35 NE
5/27

MIDVILLE
HOBHOLE DRAIN (east side)
Church of St. Peter

(Formerly listed as Parish Church, no dedication)

3.2.67
II
Parish church, formally closed for worship in 2014. Built 1819. Probably by Jeptha Pacey. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with bracketed eaves. Moulded cornice forming open pediments in the nave gables. Clasping pilaster strips. Further pilaster strips defining the bays of the north and south sides. Plinth. Nave and short chancel. West end with octagonal wooden cupola, each side with single pointed arched opening. Domed lead roof topped with weather vane. West wall with ashlar first floor band. Pointed arched doorway 4 steps up with plank double door. Over the band is an ashlar plaque inscribed '1819'. The north nave has 3 pointed arched 2 light windows with ashlar plate tracery and lead glazing bars. There is a continuous impost band broken by the pilasters. Under the windows set into the plinth are flush inverted brick arches. The east chancel has a single pointed arched 3 light window with plate tracery. The south nave corresponds to the north, however under the single outer windows are flush panels of narrow brick strips. Interior. Inner porch with doorway with panelled door leading to the gallery. Panelled west gallery supported on 2 cast iron columns. Doorway with double doors under, to the right is a single fixed light with pointed arched glazing bars. To the left is the vestry with panelled partitions. Pointed chancel arch. Painted octagonal font dated 1663, the sides decorated with shields. Cast iron Royal arms.

This church was one of many built in this area after the Fen Churches Act of 1816.


Listing NGR: TF3847057032

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.