History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pelhams Pillar Cabourne High Wood

A Grade II Listed Building in Cabourne, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5177 / 53°31'3"N

Longitude: -0.2988 / 0°17'55"W

OS Eastings: 512896

OS Northings: 403684

OS Grid: TA128036

Mapcode National: GBR VWCR.3Q

Mapcode Global: WHHHW.CVZ3

Entry Name: Pelhams Pillar Cabourne High Wood

Listing Date: 1 November 1966

Last Amended: 21 December 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359765

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196359

Location: Cabourne, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN7

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Cabourne

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Cabourne St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Nettleton

Listing Text

TA 10 SW CABOURNE HIGH STREET
(east side)

1/4 Pelham's Pillar
Cabourne High Wood
1.11.66. (formerly listed as Pelham's
II Pillar Brocklesby Park)

Tower. Eye-catcher. 1840-9 by E. J. Willson. Limestone ashlar
exterior, cream brick interior, fish-scale tiled square dome with
urn finial. 3 steps lead up to tall 3 stepped base with roll
moulding above. On north-east side a sleeping lion and a waking
lion on high pediments flank a flight of 9 steps that lead up to
a 4 pannelled door with a lugged architrave. Plaque above door
commemorates Charles Anderson Pelham, Lord Marborough who planted
12,532,700 trees in Cabourne High Wood between 1787 and 1828.
Also relates that the pillar was built 1840-9. Above base
rectangular tower rises 128 feet with 8 slit lights in both the
north-east and south-east sides, and 9 in north-west and south-
west sides. Top tapers to Roman Doric capital with a square
turret above with arched window with mock balustrades and
wreathed oculus above, on each face.


Listing NGR: TA1289603684

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.