This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4489 / 53°26'56"N
Longitude: -0.1711 / 0°10'15"W
OS Eastings: 521558
OS Northings: 396240
OS Grid: TF215962
Mapcode National: GBR WX7K.RD
Mapcode Global: WHHJB.BKSV
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 1 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359772
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196383
Location: Swinhope, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8
District: West Lindsey
Civil Parish: Swinhope
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Swinhope St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 29 NW SWINHOPE SWINHOPE LANE
5/28 Church of St Helen
Parish Church. Early C13, early C14, greatly rebuilt in 1860.
Coursed ironstone rubble, ironstone ashlar, some red brick,
slate roofs with stone coped gables. West tower including west
porch, nave with south baptistry , rectangular chancel with north
vestry. C19 west tower with ashlar west front and rubble north
and south walls. West doorway re-uses bay of an early C13
arcade, flanked by a cluster of 3 large shafts on each side with
abaci, plain capitals and moulded and double chamfered pointed
arch. Single lancet above. Porch interior has an early C13
west doorway with pointed arch with slight chamfer and hoodmould,
with moulded imposts, chamfered jambs and C19 plank door.
Tombstone of Johnathon Field, died 1760, set in floor. C19 north
aisle with C13 west lancet re-set. North side partly raised with
red bricks 2 lancets. C19 vestry with west doorway with
Caenarvon head and plank door. Pointed window in north side.
Chancel's east end with large single pointed window with
weathered hoodmould. Gable above with finial. Flanking 2 stage
angle buttresses. Early C14 south side of chancel raised with
red brick in C19. 2 early C14 pointed windows each of 2 cusped
ogee lights with quatrefoil above, that to the west restored,
both with hoodmoulds. C19 south baptistery with re-used medieval
fragments embedded in west and east sides. South side has C19
pointed 2 light window re-using some C13 stone and with C13
hoodmould. Interior arch leading from nave to baptistery
consists of re-set early C13 bay of arcade with double chamfered
pointed arch, keeled responds, plain capitals and bold abaci.
Caenarvon headed doorway to vestry with C20 plank door. C13
piscinia with ogee head in south wall of chancel. Plain C12 drum
font in baptistery. Early C18 hatchment over west door. Ornate
C20 altar rail. C20 pews, lecturn, pulpit etc. North side of
chancel has white marble monument on black marble field, with
weeping angel with dipped torch, by E. Gaffin to Frances Alington
who died of a broken heart after the death of her betrothed, in
1828. South side of chancel has white marble monument on black
marble field with relief of 2 wealthy women giving food to a poor
family by T. Gaffin to Mrs Pye, died 1847.
Listing NGR: TF2155896240
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings