History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Entrance Piers in Grounds of Kingerby Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Osgodby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4217 / 53°25'18"N

Longitude: -0.4106 / 0°24'38"W

OS Eastings: 505721

OS Northings: 392829

OS Grid: TF057928

Mapcode National: GBR TXKW.X4

Mapcode Global: WHGH8.N8P6

Entry Name: Entrance Piers in Grounds of Kingerby Manor

Listing Date: 3 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359813

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196512

Location: Osgodby, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Osgodby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkby with Kingerby St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
North Owersby

Listing Text

TF 09 SE OSGODBY MAIN STREET
(south side)
8/32 Kingerby

Entrance piers in
grounds of
Kingerby Manor

G.V. II

Pair of entrance piers, formerly cross base and shaft, and 4
pinnacles set out in a line; 1451, late C18. Ashlar; on the
right hand side is a square base which is inscribed "CON: AD
1451" on the left hand face, with a Chirho symbol and omega on
the front face, and with a fleury cross in a circle and "Dei" and
"Ora" on the right hand face. On top of the base is a weathered
cross shaft. To the right of this pier are 4 C15 crocketed
pinnacles set in a line in the ground. The left hand entrance
pier is also a square C15 base on which has been set a decorative
stone pine cone of late C18 date. The C15 fragments came from
PONS EPISCOPI, the former medieval Bishops Bridge over the River
Ancholme about 2 miles west of Kingerby. They are likely to
have been moved to their present position, where they form an
entrance opposite the church gates, during C19.


Listing NGR: TF0572192829

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.