History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fillingham, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3616 / 53°21'41"N

Longitude: -0.5769 / 0°34'36"W

OS Eastings: 494801

OS Northings: 385914

OS Grid: SK948859

Mapcode National: GBR SYDK.WN

Mapcode Global: WHGHD.3RKS

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 16 December 1964

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359847

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196712

Location: Fillingham, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN21

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Fillingham

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: The Spring Line Group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Hemswell

Listing Text

SK 98 NW FILLINGHAM MAIN STREET
(North side)
4/21 Church of
St. Andrew
16,12.64
G.V. II*

Parish church. c1180, mid C13, 1768, 1777, restored in 1866
possibly by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Coursed limestone rubble.
Slate roofs. West tower, nave, rectangular chancel and north-
west vestry. 3 stage west tower rebuilt in 1777 with plinth and
pointed open archways to west, north and south, each with hood
mould. Flat string course above with single large, plain blocked
oculus on each side. Moulded cornice above and bell openings on
all 4 sides, each a large pointed opening divided by 2 pointed
lights. Plain parapet above. West doorway within tower, of
c1180 with round roll moulded head with single columnar jambs,
that to the left with waterleaf capital, to the right with plain
battered capital, and plank doors. North-west corner of original
nave visible between tower and north-west vestry, with flat
string course. C19 north-west vestry with plinth, single stage
buttress to south and pointed west doorway with chamfered
surround, hood mould, label stops and plank door. Coped gable to
north with steps down to coalhole and trefoiled opening to west,
and pointed 2 light window with cusped oculus, hood mould and
label stops. North wall of nave with three windows made up of
mid C13 fragments re-set into wall. Each window of 2 lights, the
pair to the west with taller light to right, the pair to the east
with taller light to left. Central window of 2 equally paired
lights. Moulded eaves above. Plain north chancel wall. East
end of chancel with plinth and large pointed C19 window with 3
lights, reticulated tracery, hood mould and label stops. South
side of chancel with plinth and small pointed doorway with
chamfered surround and plank door. Nave with plinth with 3
pointed windows, each of 2 pointed lights with trefoil above and
hood mould. Large mid C13 interior tower arch with double
chamfered, pointed head, the outer order with broaches, hood
mould and C19 foliate label stops. Slightly keeled responds with
plain capitals, octagonal abaci and water holding bases. 3 mid
C13 bays of north and south arcades partially visible in C18
walls. Pointed arches with hood moulds and heads in spandrels.
2 central octagonal piers visible on each side, while arches die
away into wall to east and west. Mid C13 chancel arch with
double chamfered, pointed head and responds possibly encased in
masonry below. C20 flat ceiling to nave and wooden roof to
chancel. 3 monuments on north wall of chancel, that to east in
black, grey and white marble with urn and draperies, to Sir Cecil
Wray, Bar't. of Summer Castle, died 1805. In the centre a
monument of grey and black marble with round arch with cable
decoration supported on polygonal columns with 2 shields above,
to Jane Sanderson, died 1603. To west, a black, white and grey
marble monument with urn and draperies, to Dame Esther Wray, died
1823. Early C14 chest against east wall of chancel with
intersecting arches, rosettes, whorls, etc. C19 lectern and
pulpit, early C20 pews and altar rail. C13 octagonal font on C20
base.


Listing NGR: SK9480185914

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.