History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gautby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.236 / 53°14'9"N

Longitude: -0.2414 / 0°14'29"W

OS Eastings: 517470

OS Northings: 372439

OS Grid: TF174724

Mapcode National: GBR HQR.5RS

Mapcode Global: WHHK8.8X9L

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359914

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195205

Location: Gautby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Gautby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Bardney St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Panton

Listing Text

GAUTBY MAIN STREET
TF 17 SE
(north side)
3/20 Church of
All Saints
14-9-66
II*

Parish church. Rebuilt in 1754, incorporating some medieval
work, by Robert Vyner of Gautby Park, as a family chapel,
reseated in 1914. Red brick in Flemish bond with ashlar
dressings, brick coped plain tiled roofs and copper steeple.
Western tower, nave, chancel. A stone plinth with chamfered top
runs round the whole church. The 3 stage tower has 2 brick
bands, a moulded stone cornice and re-used small medieval corner
pinnacles. It is surmounted by a short narrow copper clad spine
with weather vane. The western doorway is a plain semi-circular
headed opening with ashlar key and impost blocks and contains
double C18 gates. To belfry stage are plain semi-circular headed
louvred openings. The nave and chancel have cyma moulded stone
cornices. On the north side the plinth is of brick with
chamfered stone top. To both side walls of nave are 2 semi-
circular headed windows with ashlar key and impost blocks, double
cross mullioned timber lights with leaded panes. The chancel
east window is also semi-circular, containing stained glass, and
flanked by 2 recessed panels, a small square one over a tall
rectangular one. The chancel south window is a shorter single
cross mullioned version of the nave windows. The west door is 6
panelled with its original latch furniture. Interior. The plain
ceiling has a dentillated cornice with flowered paterae between
dentillations. The semi-circular moulded chancel arch has
moulded imposts and plain keyblock. It is flanked by fluted
Ionic pilasters set on tall moulded bases. All windows except
the chancel east opening have moulded splayed plaster surrounds
and plain impost and key blocks. At the west end is a small
gallery over the door, standing on plain tapering rectangular
columns with bulbous moulded balusters. The nave has boarded
panelling terminating in a moulded cornice at sill height.
Fittings. The C18 octagonal pulpit and vicar's pew are fully
panelled, and came from Skelton Church, West Yorkshire. The
church originally had box pews with the pulpit set midway on the
south wall. It was moved to its new position when the church was
reseated c.1914. At the west end is a vestry enclosure,
presumably made up of panels from the old box pews. A statue
bracket on the chancel arch is an ornate console bracket from
Gautby Hall door surround. The C15 octagonal font with
quatrefoil side panels, came from Laughton, near Gainsborough.
In the nave is a small brass chandelier, bracketed out from the
gallery. Monuments. Set in segmental headed niches either side
of the altar are 2 reclining stone figures. On the north side
Thomas Vyner Esq., a leading banker to Charles II, and on the
south side Sir Thomas Vyner, former Lord Mayor of London.
Monuments erected 1672. The banker is in full wig and long gown,
the mayor wears his chain of office. The tombs are supported by
carved brackets in the form of winged cherubs and between the
brackets are inscribed panels. The tombs were moved from St.
Mary Woolnoth Church, London by Sir Robert Vyner when the church
was built in 1756.


Listing NGR: TF1747072439

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.