This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3652 / 53°21'54"N
Longitude: -0.0128 / 0°0'46"W
OS Eastings: 532327
OS Northings: 387208
OS Grid: TF323872
Mapcode National: GBR XYCJ.0D
Mapcode Global: WHHJS.SP31
Entry Name: The Mansion
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359928
English Heritage Legacy ID: 195051
Location: Louth, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Louth
Built-Up Area: Louth
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Louth
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 3287 2/2 2.11.54.
Probably built circa 1600, it was remodelled late in the century. It is a 2-storey
T-shaped red brick house with steep pitched early tiled roofs. The East-West
wing has a double roof with very wide gable ends flattened at the top and having
a stone coping. Massive chimneystack set in the valley. The road front, above
and set back from the road is symmetrical, 7 windows 3-1-3 to both floors, shallow
central breakforward, Deep coved plaster eaves with a semi-circular pediment.
Stringcourse between storeys. The tall hung sash windows which retain the heavy
glazing bars are in wide wooden cases flush with the wall face and have segmental-arched
heads, no cills. Band between storeys. A Stable wing adjoins the West end of
the road front, one storey rising to 2 at the centre, late slate roof, coming
forward to the pavement, and at the East end of this is the entrance to the house:
outer opening semi-circular-headed with moulded archivolt flanked by 2 pilasters
which have stone capitals and bases. Springing from these is a semi-circular
arch of raised brick and above that a curving stone cornice. Within the porch
approached by a flight of stone steps, is a square-headed doorway with moulded
architrave and door of 6 fielded panels, above it a semi-circular window. An
inner doorway has a wooden case, 2 Ionic pilasters on high base supporting a
broken triangular pediment and above the opening of this is a small circular
window with archivolt and keystone from the sides of which are swags with pendants.
Fine interior with much late C17 work. NMR.
Nos 17 to 21 (odd), including The Sycamores, form a group.
Listing NGR: TF3232787208
Other nearby listed buildings