This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4883 / 53°29'17"N
Longitude: -0.017 / 0°1'1"W
OS Eastings: 531667
OS Northings: 400892
OS Grid: TA316008
Mapcode National: GBR XXB3.38
Mapcode Global: WHHJ6.QL35
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 9 September 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359942
English Heritage Legacy ID: 195355
Location: Tetney, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN36
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Tetney
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Tetney St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TA 30 SW TETNEY CHURCH LANE
2/48 Church of
St. Peter and
9.9.67 St. Paul
Parish church. 1363, C15, 1862 restoration and chancel rebuilt
by R. J. Withers. Grey limestone ashlar, squared coursed
ironstone rubble, slate and lead roofs. Western tower, nave,
aisles, chancel, vestry. The tall C15 3 stage grey ashlar tower
has bell moulded plinth, 2 chamfered string courses, an embattled
parapet with corner pinnacles, and stepped corner buttresses,
full height, with gargoyles over. To the middle stage on all but
the east side are single cusped headed lights in deep concave
moulded surrounds. The 4 belfry stage lights comprise 2 paired
lights with trefoil ogee heads and mouchette over set under a
common ogee hood. Beneath the lights within the moulded surround
are 2 pairs of blank cusped panels. The west doorway has a 4
centred head with concave chamfered and moulded surround and
hood. Above is a large 3 light window, cusped heads to the
lights, panel tracery and double concave moulded surround. The
west wall of the north aisle has a C14 3 light window, ogee head
to the middle light and mouchettes. In the aisle north wall is a
C14 doorway, single chamfered with moulded hood and animal head
stops and 4 C14 3 light windows, cusped ogee heads to the lights,
chamfered square surrounds, extensively recut C19. The end bay
is a vestry with pointed doorway and a 2 light window. The
vestry east wall has a C19 window with intersecting tracery.
Chancel and nave are roofed in slate. The chancel north wall has
C19 lancet and a fragment of a C13 shallow incised cross fleury
grave slab is reused in the north east buttress of the chancel.
The east window is of 3 lights with C15 reveals but C19 tracery.
The south wall has 2 C19 2 light windows. The east window of the
south aisle is early C15, of 3 lights, cusped ogee heads to the
lights, panel tracery and hood. The south aisle has 2 three
light and a single 2 light C14 windows as north aisle. Further
west is a blocked pointed doorway with reeded imposts. The west
wall of the aisle has a small 2 light C15 window with concave
moulded surround and hood with human head label stops. Interior.
The C14 5 bay nave arcades have octagonal piers and responds with
bell moulded bases, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches.
The second pier from the west on the north side is inscribed in
Latin "This work was completed AD 1363, Robert Day thenvicar".
The C14 tower arch has deeply chamfered responds, moulded
capitals and a double splayed arch and single splayedcontinuous
outer order. The chancel arch has a continuous double chamfered
moulding. A similar though C19 arch opens into the former north
chapel, now vestry. To the south of the chancel arch is a
doorway with a 4 centred arched head with a rood stair. In the
chancel north wall is a C14 double chamfered archway opening into
the former north chapel. The reredos has an ashlar framework with
brattished top and is inlaid with elaborate handpainted tiles and
gilded panels, and is flanked by plainer tiled panels. All
fittings are C19 including the octagonal font. Monuments. In
the north wall of the aisle are set 2 rectangular inscribed
tablets to members of the de Elkynton family, who died in 1322
and 1328. There is a similar tablet on the south wall of the
chancel to Thomas Jekyl, vicar. He was vicar from 1461-1501.
Listing NGR: TA3166400891
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings