History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Welton Le Wold, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3666 / 53°21'59"N

Longitude: -0.088 / 0°5'16"W

OS Eastings: 527317

OS Northings: 387232

OS Grid: TF273872

Mapcode National: GBR WYTH.RW

Mapcode Global: WHHJR.MM9Y

Entry Name: Old Rectory

Listing Date: 24 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359951

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195299

Location: Welton Le Wold, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Welton le Wold

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Louth

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
South Elkington

Listing Text

WELTON LE WOLD CHURCH LANE
TF 28 NE
(east side)
7/47 Old Rectory
G.V. II

Former rectory, now house. 1853 with later C19 addition to left.
By S. S. Teulon. Red brick with painted black bitumen bands and
voussoirs to relieving arches, ashlar dressings, coped slate
roof, single projecting ridge and gable stacks, 2 having diamond
set shafts. Parallel ranges. 2 storey with plinth, irregular 6
bay front with to right a projecting chimney, and the 5th and 6th
bays are advanced and gabled. Off centre double chamfered Tudor
outer arch having a surround supported on wall shafts rising to a
pierced cusped ogee over arch with floriate crockets and finial.
The inner arch is single chamfered and at right angles to the
outer one. To left of the outer door is a sunk carved panel in
chamfered surround with grape vine and scrolled motto and
initialled "EWH". To right of the door is a 2 light window with
segmental and pointed brick relieving arches above. To the left
of the entry bay are a single and 3 two light windows. The
principal window has a pointed relieving arch with herringbone
tympanum. To first floor are 3 single light and a single 2 light
windows. The principal window has a herringbone relieving arch
under a gable. Over the door is a 2 light oriel window with
corbelled out base, central brick pendant and slate pitched roof.
Above is an ashlar quatrefoil dated "1853". All windows have
chamfered ashlar mullions and transoms and single chamfered
surrounds. Beyond to the left is a later C19 2 bay 2 storey
extension. To right hand gable is a rectangular 3 light bay
window and beyond a cusped and trefoil traceried window in the
base of the chimney stack, and to rear is a further canted bay
window. Interior. The sitting room retains Tudor arched marble
fireplace with traceried sliding mirror over to conceal the
window at night. The staircase has pierced ornate splay
balusters and chamfer stopped newels with moulded tops and the
landing over has moulded arch braced roof with pendants. The
rectory was built by Edmund William Hughes, Rector from 1842-
1854.


Listing NGR: TF2731787232

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.