History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in West Torrington, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3231 / 53°19'23"N

Longitude: -0.2928 / 0°17'33"W

OS Eastings: 513811

OS Northings: 382042

OS Grid: TF138820

Mapcode National: GBR VZD0.DH

Mapcode Global: WHHJV.GQTT

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 6 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359957

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195427

Location: West Torrington, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: West Torrington

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: East Barkwith St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Lissington

Listing Text

WEST TORRINGTON RECTORY LANE
TF 18 SW
(east side)
1/52 The Old Rectory
II
Rectory, now house. 1850, 1863. Red brick. Slate roofs with 3
ridge stacks, one with 4 tall shafts, the others with tall paired
shafts. 2 storey, 4 bay front with right hand bay projecting
with gable and cross finial. Plinth. First floor decorated
brick band and decorated eaves. Doorway to left in gabled porch
and with pointed head. Inner doorway with fanlight and partially
glazed door. Three light casement to left, with segmental head.
Canted bay window to right with central 3 light casement with
segmental head flanked by single narrow fixed lights with
segmental heads. 3 light casement to right, with segmental head.
3 pairs of casements above break through roof line with plaster
lintels and steeply pitched gables. 3 light casement to right
with segmental head. 2 storey polygonal chapel of 1863 attached
to east wall with decorated eaves, first floor band and 2 ashlar
dressed windows each of 2 pointed lights with plate traceried
quatrefoil above, with fine Victorian glass, including the
initials of Thomas Wimberley Mossman. Chapel interior very plain
and severe with brick decorated eaves. Such a chapel is
exceptionally rare in a rectory and reflects the interests and
important career of the vicar Thomas Wimberley Mossman who built
it. Mossman was vicar of West Torrington from 1859-1885 and was
an important and controversial figure in the Oxford Movement,
correspondent with Cardinal Newman and founder of a Brotherhood
training poor men for the priesthood, who lived at the rectory
and caused outrage by their papish dress and practices. He was a
noted historian and active Liberal politician as well as being a
crucial figure in the early Oecumenical movement.


Listing NGR: TF1381182042

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.