History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Market Stainton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.302 / 53°18'7"N

Longitude: -0.1588 / 0°9'31"W

OS Eastings: 522792

OS Northings: 379923

OS Grid: TF227799

Mapcode National: GBR WZB8.D0

Mapcode Global: WHHK3.J8LF

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359971

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195402

Location: Market Stainton, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Market Stainton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Asterby Group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Benniworth

Listing Text

MARKET STAINTON RANBY ROAD
TF 27 NW
(east side)
627 Church of
St. Michael
14.9.66 II*
Parish church. C13, C14, C18, 1848. Greenstone rubble blocks,
limestone ashlar dressings, red brick. Lead roofs. West tower,
nave with south porch, chancel. Mid C14 west tower with plinth
and C18, 3 stage brick diagonal buttresses with greenstone set-
offs. Pointed west doorway with rendered, chamfered head and
jambs in one, hood mould, head label stops and plank door.
Pointed window above with 2 cusped ogee lights and vertical
tracery. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each a pointed opening
with Y tracery. Battlements and corner pinnacles above. North
side of nave with plinth and 2 pointed C19 windows each with 3
cusped ogee headed lights, with mouchettes and hood mould. North
side of chancel with C19 lancet with hood mould. C18 brick
patching to east. East end with a pair of C19 lancets with
continuous hood mould. South side of chancel with C19 brick
patching. Early C13 lancet with hood mould. C19 doorway to west
with pointed head, chamfered surround in one, hood mould and
plank door. South side of nave with single pointed C19windows
each with 3 cusped ogee lights, mouchettes and hood mould,
flanking C14 porch heavily restored in C19. East and west porch
walls each with single rectangular mid C14 window with 2 cusped
ogee headed lights. Pointed C19 south doorway with chamfered
surround in one and hood mould. Porch interior with flanking
stone benches and C19 south doorway with pointed head, chamfered
surround in one and plank door. 4 table tombs beneath west
window, all of the Codd family dated from second half of C18 and
early C19. Interior mid C14 tower arch with pointed chamfered
head, polygonal responds with polygonal moulded capitals. C14
pointed chancel arch with inner chamfered order on C19 corbels.
C19 screen. C19 stone quadripartite rib vault over chancel,
supported on angel corbels. South doorway with segmental head
and moulded surround. C19 tall octagonal font with hood.
Monument in nave of grey and white marble, to Walter Walesby died
1806. Monuments in chancel, one to Francis Walesby, died 1772,
of black and white marble with cherub, the other to Joshua
Walesby, died 1799, of white marble with urn.


Listing NGR: TF2279279923

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.