This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3637 / 53°21'49"N
Longitude: 0.0455 / 0°2'43"E
OS Eastings: 536208
OS Northings: 387151
OS Grid: TF362871
Mapcode National: GBR XYRJ.MX
Mapcode Global: WHHJT.NQV6
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 9 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359976
English Heritage Legacy ID: 195519
Location: Stewton, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Stewton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Louth
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
STEWTON CHURCH LANE
TF 38 NE
Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Cll, C12, C14, c.1866 by James Fowler, 1902. Greenstone
rubble, limestone ashlar, red brick. Slate roofs with stone coped gables with
cross finials, gabled C19 bellcote with round headed bell opening with moulded
head, imposts and bell. West porch, nave with west bellcote and south porch
converted into vestry, chancel. Gabled west porch of 1902 with round headed
doorway with moulded head, hood mould and label stops, single flanking shafts
with ornate waterleaf capitals. Plaque dated 1902 and inscribed with names
of rector and church wardens in south wall. 2 weathered, carved Cll fragments
reset in north wall. Porch interior with C19 round headed doorway with keeled
rolls, hood mould and label stops, single shafts with ornate capitals and
double plank doors. C19 wheel window above porch with trefoil headed openings
divided by shafts with moulded bases and ornate capitals. Small oculus above.
North side of Cll nave with blocked Cll doorway to west with round headed
tympanum, 2 voussoirs to east and plain rectangular jambs. C14 window to east
with flattened triangular head, 3 cusped, pointed ligts and mullions partially
restored in C19. North side of chancel, plain. East end of chancel flanked
by 2 stage angle buttresses with large keystone of medieval rib vault reset
below C19 window of 3 narrow round headed lights, that in centre taller, con-
tinuous hood mould. Fragment of C12 moulding including band of dogtooth reset
above window. South side of chancel with C19 rectangular window with cham-
fered surround and medieval sill. South side of nave C19 window to east with
flattened triangular head and 3 pointed cusped lights. Cll window to west,
a round headed slit light made up of 4 large stones. Gabled C19 porch with
south wall blocked with C20 red brick and a small round headed light inserted.
East side of porch with C19 rectangular window with chamfered surround. Cll
south doorway inside blocked porch with round voussoired head, plain tympanum,
chamfered imposts and rectangular jambs. Doorway viewed from nave interior
with C19 round voussoired head and rectangular jambs re-using Cll masonry.
North wall of nave interior with Cll voussoired round head of blocked doorway.
Cll chancel arch restored in C19 with round voussoired head, chamfered imposts
with scored line decoration and rectangular jambs. Moulded string course runs
from just below impost level to north wall with broad, blocked round headed
recess below. Chancel with C14 beareed head reset on north wall. East window
with nook shafts, ornate waterleaf capitals, hood mould and ornate label stops.
C19 stone altar supported on 2 large round shafts with cushion capitals. C19
pews, roofs, brass lectern and pulpit on ashlar base. C19 font with octagonal
bowl supported on a cluster of 4 shafts and with orenate wooden hood.
Listing NGR: TF3620887151
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings