History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

House of Correction

A Grade II* Listed Building in Folkingham, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.888 / 52°53'16"N

Longitude: -0.4043 / 0°24'15"W

OS Eastings: 507459

OS Northings: 333473

OS Grid: TF074334

Mapcode National: GBR GT9.SQV

Mapcode Global: WHGKS.RNNW

Entry Name: House of Correction

Listing Date: 6 May 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360144

English Heritage Legacy ID: 194271

Location: Folkingham, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Folkingham

Built-Up Area: Folkingham

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: South Lafford

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Horbling

Listing Text

FOLKINGHAM BILLINGBOROUGH ROAD
TF 0633-0733 (north side)
2/57 House of Correction
6.5.52
G.V. II*

Gateway to House of Correction, now in process of restoration and
conversion by The Landmark Trust. 1825 by Edward Browning, C20.
Limestone ashlar, some red brick. Low slate hipped roof hidden
behind high parapet. 2 storeys. High plinth and string course
runs round west, south and east fronts. 3 bay south front with
central giant order gateway with semi-circular boldly rusticated
head with large raised keystone and wooden tympanum with openwork
chequered patterning. Gateway leads into barrel vaulted passage
to inner doorway with moulded ashlar doorcase with large raised
keystone and heavy plank door. Outer gateway flanked by single,
semi-circular headed, giant order blind arches with bold
rusticated heads, large raised keystones and wooden tympana with
openwork chequered patterning. Projecting moulded eaves above,
and parapet inscribed: "House of Correction 1825". Central bay
rises above with narrow, plain horizontal plaque crowned with
moulded pediment. East side flanked by plain, giant order
pilasters with large plain rectangular doorway formerly with
double doors. Diocletian window above with rusticated head,
large raised keystone and glazing bars. North side in process of
being refronted in red brick after removal of early C20 brick
range. West side flanked by plain, giant order pilasters with
blind, giant order semi-circular headed niche with rusticated
head and large keystone. Semi-circular headed doorway set inside
with diocletian window in tympanum, with glazing bars, and
rectangulr doorway below. Several yards to north of gateway
steps lead down to underground, brick lined chamber. House of
Correction was situated on site of Folkingham Castle, with
earthworks of inner and outer baileys still visible.


Listing NGR: TF0745933473

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.