History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel and Attached School

A Grade II Listed Building in Washingborough, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2118 / 53°12'42"N

Longitude: -0.459 / 0°27'32"W

OS Eastings: 503005

OS Northings: 369413

OS Grid: TF030694

Mapcode National: GBR FN0.QRD

Mapcode Global: WHGJ6.XJLM

Entry Name: Chapel and Attached School

Listing Date: 23 August 1967

Last Amended: 2 July 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360209

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192822

Location: Heighington, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN4

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven

Civil Parish: Heighington

Built-Up Area: Washingborough

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Washingborough St John

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Washingborough

Listing Text

HEIGHINGTON POTTERHANWORTH ROAD
TF 0270-0370 (west side)
TF 0269-0369
10/50 - 11/50 Chapel and attached
school (formerly listed
23.8.67 as Parish Church - no
dedication)

GV II

Former parish church, now chapel of ease and attached school rooms. C12,
1619 restored and extended 1865 by Michael Drury. medieval west tower
with single cell nave and chancel, plus attached school rooms to the
north. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs
with coped gables and moulded kneelers. Quoins, chamfered plinth and
eaves band. Square west lower with corner buttresses, has blank lower 2
stages with above a pair of pointed bell openings within a single
chamfered arch to each face. Topped by a parapet pierced with
quatrefoils, and with a single ornate corner pinnacle, plus a pyramidal
slate roof with iron weathervane. Nave, south front, has to the left a
slightly projecting gabled porch, with deeply moulded pointed arch and
double plank doors with ornte iron hinges. To the right 3, 3-light
geometrical tracery windows in moulded and chamfered pointed arches with
hood moulds. The east gable wall has a single, large 4-light geometrical
tracery window also in a moulded and chamfered pointed arch with
hoodmould. To the right the school with a projecting gabled porch, with
a large plank door in chamfered ashlar surround to the south, and a pair
of windows in the east gable wall. To the right a 2-light geometrical
tracery window in a chamfered pointed arch and beyond 2 lancets all with
hoodmoulds. Interior has a late Normal tower arch with water leaf
capitals, plus C19 pews, pulpit altar rail and oil lamps. This parish
church fell into decay and was restored in 1619 at the expense of Thomas
Garrett one of the Fen Drainage Adventurers, unfortunately none of this
work survived the subsequent C19 restoration programme.


Listing NGR: TF0300569413

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.