This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.906 / 52°54'21"N
Longitude: -0.4902 / 0°29'24"W
OS Eastings: 501641
OS Northings: 335352
OS Grid: TF016353
Mapcode National: GBR FRN.WCS
Mapcode Global: WHGKR.F7T0
Entry Name: Church of St Maragret
Listing Date: 20 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360324
English Heritage Legacy ID: 193225
Location: Braceby and Sapperton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Braceby and Sapperton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Sapperton with Braceby
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 03 NW BRACEBY AND SAPPERTON MAIN STREET
20-9-66 Church of St.Margaret
Parish Church; C13, C14, C15, with C18 and C19 alterations. Coursed limestone
rubble with ashlar dressings; ashlar; slate, plain tiled and lead roofs.
Nave with western bell-cote and clerestorey, north aisle, chancel, south porch.
The west end is in 3 stages with a roll moulded plinth, 2 string courses and
a C13 stone coped gable bell-cote whioh is supported on a large central buttress.
Stepped side buttresses terminate at the second string course which is deeply
roll moulded and acts as a plinth to the bell-cote which has 2 bell chambers.
The north aisle has a slate roof and is in 2 bays marked by 3 stepped buttresses.
It has been partly rebuilt in C19 and has two 2-light C14 windows with reticulated
tracery recut in C19. The east aisle window is a C19 reconstruction of a C14
2-light Y traceried window. The north clerestorey has a plain moulded parapet
concealing a lead roof. The two C15 3-light windows have depressed arch heads
and hood moulds. The ashlar chancel, which has been partly rebuilt C19, has
a plain tiled roof, stone coped gable and cross fleury to the ridge. An inscribe
quoin on the east end " ichard Torry 1739" refers to a monument inside. The
east end has a 3 light C14 window and the south side a small 3 slight C15 window
with flat head, and stepped buttress. The south sides of the chancel and
nave are in coursed limestone rubble. A string course on the nave marks the
line of the removed south aisle. The C13 blocked 2 bay arcade and single bay
south chapel arch are clearly visible. 2 reused early C14 2 light windows, one
with Y tracery the other with flowing, are reset in the blocking. The south
porch has been reset at the time of the aisle removal, possibly in C18 and has
stone coped gable with cross fleury and simple pointed opening. The C13 south
doorway has been rest in the blocked west arcade. The south clerestorey is as
the north side. Interior: The C13 3 bay north arcade has one quatrefoil pier
with fillets and octofoil pier with waterleaf capital. The west respond is
semi octagonal and inscribed 'a b c d e f g'. The arches are double splayed.
The blocked south aisle arcade is just visible. The scar of an earlier nave
roof is visible on the west end. The C13 chancel arch has fine bowtell
moulding and the imposts extend to form a moulded string course which links up
with the nave arcade imposts. The nave roof is C17 with massive cross beams
and purlins. Fittings and pews are all C19. The font is a plain C12/13
circular tub on octagonal base. Monuments: in the chancel a tablet decorated
with angels and scrolls to Alice Torry and Richard Torry d.1739, and an inscribed
grave slab to Ann Towne d.1630.
Listing NGR: TF0164135352
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings