History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Agent's House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Denton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.881 / 52°52'51"N

Longitude: -0.7086 / 0°42'30"W

OS Eastings: 487002

OS Northings: 332284

OS Grid: SK870322

Mapcode National: GBR CP3.7PV

Mapcode Global: WHGKN.2VV7

Entry Name: Agent's House

Listing Date: 9 February 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360340

English Heritage Legacy ID: 193314

Location: Denton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Denton

Built-Up Area: Denton (South Kesteven)

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Denton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Harlaxton

Listing Text

DENTON MAIN STREET
SK 8632-8732
(east side)
10/73 Agent's House
(Formerly listed as
9.2.52 Ivy House)
G.V. 11*
House. Early C17 with alterations of C19 and c.1937. Coursed
ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings, plain tiled roof with
stone coped gables, 2 gable ashlar stacks and large external wall
stack to roadside elevation. T-plan, parallel range. 2 storey
with attics. Elevation to Main Street of 3 irregular bays, the
bay to right with parapet and that to left, set back, are
additions to the main house. To ground floor a 4 light ovolo
moulded mullion window with cornice and above a similar window
with to left a small 3 light window with wooden diamond mullions.
The later extensions have to the right, a 2 light stone mullioned
window to first floor and to left a 3 light mullioned window to
ground floor and a pair of single lights to first floor. All
windows have leaded lights. The right hand side front has 6
light ovolo moulded mullioned parlour window with king mullion
and cornice. To first floor a 4 light cavetto mullioned window
with hood mould, garret has a 3 light ovolo moulded mullioned
window with cornice. The rear range was altered C19 in matching
style. Interior. Retains original external doorway, 4 centred
arched head with wave moulded stone surround. Parlour has
moulded stone fireplace surround set in early C17 full height
panelling with Doric fluted pilasters and diamond medallion
bases, reeded frieze with fluted brackets and cornice. The
overmantle has 2 panels containing guilloche moulded pilasters
and highly ornate arches. The girder has chip carved chamfers
with designs similar to oak chest panels. The dining room has
full height painted C17 panelling, deeply chamfered beams and
rectangular stone fireplace surround. On first floor over the
parlour the girder is deeply chamfered with diagonal reed
moulding, in the centre a chip carved rosette and elaborate
stepped shield shaped stops.


Listing NGR: SK8700232284

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.