History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Almhouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Stoke Rochford, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8356 / 52°50'8"N

Longitude: -0.637 / 0°38'13"W

OS Eastings: 491915

OS Northings: 327322

OS Grid: SK919273

Mapcode National: GBR DR3.7S8

Mapcode Global: WHGKW.5ZXK

Entry Name: Almhouses

Listing Date: 9 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360355

English Heritage Legacy ID: 193415

Location: Stoke Rochford, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG33

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Stoke Rochford

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: North and South Stoke with Easton St Andrew and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Colsterworth

Listing Text

STOKE ROCHFORD VILLAGE STREET
SK 92 NW
(south side)
Nos 1 to 5 (consecutive)
6/174 Almshouses
G.V. II
5 almshouses. Originally c.1677, founded by Edmund Turnor,
remodelled c.1851, possibly by William Burn for Sir Christopher
Turnor, minor C20 alterations. Squared limestone rubble with
slate roofs having raised stone coped gables with ball finials, 2
square ridge stacks with cornices. Single storey, 9 bay front,
with attics, to taller advanced flanking wings. Central
chamfered doorway inscribed on the lintel repaired 1851, above
the coped gable containing a sunk panel with shield and
inscription recording the original foundation in 1677, flanked by
2 single light and single 2 light windows. The projecting end
wings have canted bays with hipped stone roofs. To the gables
are 2 light windows. All windows have ovolo moulded mullions and
transomes. In the sides of the wings are chamfered doorways.
Beyond to either side are C20 single storey extensions.


Listing NGR: SK9191527322

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.