History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Gilbert

A Grade II Listed Building in Holland Fen with Brothertoft, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9986 / 52°59'55"N

Longitude: -0.1087 / 0°6'31"W

OS Eastings: 527023

OS Northings: 346264

OS Grid: TF270462

Mapcode National: GBR JVZ.WXC

Mapcode Global: WHHLH.9WHK

Entry Name: Church of St Gilbert

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360445

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191924

Location: Holland Fen with Brothertoft, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE20

County: Lincolnshire

District: Boston

Civil Parish: Holland Fen with Brothertoft

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: The Brothertoft Group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Frithville

Listing Text


TF 24 NE BROTHERTOFT LANGRICK ROAD
(west side)

6/10 Church of
St. Gilbert
26.1.67
G.V. II

Former Chapel of Ease, dedicated as a Parish Church in 1922.
Medieval stonework. Rebuilt 1847 by S. Lewin, chancel added
1854, in Perpendicular style. Squared limestone rubble, slate
roofs, stone coped gables. Nave with western bellcote and
chancel. The west doorway is of 4 shafted orders with deeply
moulded head flanked by single short buttresses. Above is a
circular octolobe window with central quatrefoil. The gabled
bellcote has a trefoil headed bell opening surmounted by a
crocketed ogee hood mould. The north wail of the nave has 4
stepped buttresses and 2 C19 3 light windows, incorporating
earlier chamfered mullions and surrounds and 2 C19 2 light
windows. The chancel side walls both have a pair of 2 light C19
windows and in the east end is a 3 light window. The nave south
wall has a single 3 light and 3 two light windows, and a C15
priest's door with 4 centred arch and scratch dial to the right
jamb. Interior. Tall narrow C19 chancel arch with moulded
reveals and carved responds. At the west end a timber gallery
with traceried panelled front. Nave and chancel roofs comprise
elaborate hammer beams with traceried panels, spandrels and
moulded pendants, the wall posts are supported on octagonal
corbels. Shafted rear arch to chancel east window. Late C19 and
C20 glass to chancel, the east window by Wailes. Fittings. Pews
and stalls in softwood and oak. Panelled wooden altar table.
Painted symbols of the Passion. Octagonal C19 ashlar font with
decorated panels.


Listing NGR: TF2702346264

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.