History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Purril's Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Benington, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9982 / 52°59'53"N

Longitude: 0.0808 / 0°4'50"E

OS Eastings: 539738

OS Northings: 346566

OS Grid: TF397465

Mapcode National: GBR KXR.36R

Mapcode Global: WHJMQ.6WQW

Entry Name: Purril's Almshouses

Listing Date: 19 November 1951

Last Amended: 26 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360481

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191919

Location: Benington, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE22

County: Lincolnshire

District: Boston

Civil Parish: Benington

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Butterwick St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Leverton

Listing Text


TF 34 NE BENINGTON MAIN ROAD
(west side)

8/5 Purril's Almshouses
(formerly listed as
19.11.51 Almshouses by
Churchyard)

G.V. II

5 almshouses. C15, rebuilt 1728, altered C20. Red brick in
Flemish bond, ashlar quoins and dressings, front range with
concrete pantile roof and brick coped partly tumbled gables, rear
range with shallow slate roof. 11 bay, single storey front range
having brick dentillated eaves, with 2 C20 doors and 9 C20
glazing bar sashes, all with segmental brick heads. Beneath the
eaves an ashlar plaque records the rebuilding in 1728 by the
Charity of Mr. Wm Porril. The side of the rear range has 4 two
light sliding sashes to ground floor and 3 similar windows to
first floor, all with brick segmental heads. In the side are 2
sections of C15 ashlar frieze of blank shields and cusped
tracery. The school and bedehouses were bequeathed by Mr.
William Purrill in his will dated 31st July 1725. Source:
Thompson, History of Boston.


Listing NGR: TF3973846566

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.