History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lade Bank Lock, Pumping Station and Chimney

A Grade II Listed Building in Old Leake, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0698 / 53°4'11"N

Longitude: 0.0573 / 0°3'26"E

OS Eastings: 537933

OS Northings: 354489

OS Grid: TF379544

Mapcode National: GBR KWR.H9N

Mapcode Global: WHHLC.V3GF

Entry Name: Lade Bank Lock, Pumping Station and Chimney

Listing Date: 26 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360501

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192024

Location: Old Leake, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE22

County: Lincolnshire

District: Boston

Civil Parish: Old Leake

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Old Leake St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Wrangle

Listing Text


TF 35 SE OLD LEAKE LADE BANK

2/105 Lade Bank Lock,
Pumping Station
and Chimney

II

Lock, pumping station and chimney. 1805 by John Rennie and 1867.
Red brick, red and yellow brick, slate roofs with raised stone
coped gables and kneelers. Originally consisting of a lock of 4
cutwaters and 2 abutments all of keeled plan with gritstone
cappings, with grooves and fixings for lock gates. In 1867 an
engine house and pumping station with tall chimney was built
above. Single storey, 7 bay front, with plinth, arranged 4:3,
the right hand 3 bays being set back and built on arches over the
earlier lock. Semi-circular headed windows retain original cast
iron glazing bars and have red and yellow banded voussoirs. In
the right hand gable are 2 further similar windows and above a
blocked circular opening formerly louvred. To left a tall square
tapering brick chimney in Italianate style having triple plinth
to the base and tall red brick recessed panels to the sides, with
yellow brick angles and imposts. Above a dentillated and
projecting course are paired similar shorter panels, also with
voussoirs. The top of the chimney is corbelled out with moulded
bands. On the left hand gable a contemporary wrought iron
weather vane. Light cast iron roof trusses throughout. The
engine house contained 6 boilers to raise the steam to operate
the 2 pumps. The pumping station has been replaced by a modern
station of 1938 also partly built on the original lock bases.
The 1867 pumping station was built when the shrinking of the peat
in the East Fen meant that the fen could no longer be drained by
gravity, and the water had to be pumped into the higher southern
half of Hobhole Drain. Source: Neil R. Wright.


Listing NGR: TF3793354489

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.