History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade I Listed Building in Ewerby and Evedon, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0111 / 53°0'39"N

Longitude: -0.3296 / 0°19'46"W

OS Eastings: 512166

OS Northings: 347279

OS Grid: TF121472

Mapcode National: GBR GS1.7HJ

Mapcode Global: WHGK7.XL60

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360562

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192565

Location: Ewerby and Evedon, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven

Civil Parish: Ewerby and Evedon

Built-Up Area: Ewerby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Ewerby St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Howell

Listing Text

EWERBY AND EVEDON CHURCH LANE
TF 14 NW
(north side)
Ewerby
3/19 Church of
St. Andrew
1/2/57
G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C14, C15, 1702, spire repaired 1810 and
1908, restored and vestry added 1890-5. Limestone ashlar, some
coursed rubble, Collyweston slate and lead roofs. West tower and
spire, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north chapel,
vestry and south porch. Tall 3 stage C14 tower with moulded
plinth, chamfered string courses and stepped gabled setback
buttresses. Carved and hollow moulded eaves course to broach
spire which has 3 tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions,
the lowest tier with paired shafted openings, all gabled. The
belfry stage has tall paired louvred lights with deeply shafted
and moulded pointed surrounds, bold flowing tracery to the heads.
In the middle stage are plain rectangular lights and to the west
only on the lowest stage is a 2 light window with curvilinear
tracery forming mouchettes with a quatrefoil over. In the west
ends of the aisles are single simpler matching 2 light windows.
North aisle has a moulded plinth, stepped buttresses and a lead
roof. It contains a continuously moulded doorway with hood and
human head stops with beyond a 3 light window having curvilinear
tracery forming cusped mouchettes and a quatrefoil. The north
chapel is of rubble with ashlar dressings and a slate roof. A
blocked door is covered by an added buttress. To either side are
single tall 2 light windows with Y tracery and cusped heads in
chamfered surrounds. To the east is a tall 3. light window with
cusped intersecting tracery and a chamfered pointed surround. On
the north side of the chancel is a low C19 boiler house. Tall 4
light east window with fine flowing tracery, elegantly cusped,
with daggers and quatrefoil. In the south wall of the chancel
are 3 three light reticulated traceried windows with pointed
hollow chamfered surrounds, also a small priest's door with
simple chamfered surround and pointed head. The south aisle has
3 light windows matching those in the chancel, one to the east
and 3 to the south. The gabled south porch has an elaborately
cusped and decorated outer arch with some seaweed carving and
naturalistic leaves. Shafted and hollow moulded reveals to
moulded head set in a triangular frame with floriate terminal.
The inner doorway is more restrained with a continuously wave
moulded surround and human head stops. Interior: tall 3 bay
nave arcades, filleted quatrefoil piers with annular capitals,
double chamfered arches and hollow moulded hoods. The arch
braced roof is C19. The tower base has a massive triple
chamfered arch to the nave with engaged shafted reveals and
annular imposts. Above is a 4 centred arched doorway. In the
sides of the tower are matching triple chamfered arches. In the
south aisle is a piscina in a plain square surround. In the
north chapel is trefoil headed piscina in the east wall and a C18
wooden cupboard in the south wall. The sumptuous chancel is a
scaled down version of nearby Heckington. In the north wall a
double chamfered arch with annular reveals opens into the north
chapel. Further along is the founder's tomb niche, a 4 centred
arched doorway and an Easter sepulchre in the form of a
triangular headed aumbry with flanking crocketted pinnacles and
gablet over. On the south side is a fine triple sedilia with
shafted reveals to the compartments, cusped ogee heads and
gablets with floriate terminals, beyond is a trefoil headed
piscina with matching gablet. Fittings: elaborate C19 reredos
to altar with limewood figures of The Sower and The Good Shepherd
set in gilded niches. Oak altar rails and gate of turned bobbin
type dated 1702. A memorable rood screen, early C14, with wider
central opening under a 4 centred arch and 3 flanking panels to
either side, each with cusped ogee heads, crockets, trefoiled
panels and pointed heads. Only 2 traceried lower panels survive,
though traces of red painted decoration can be seen on another;
2 are C18 raised and fielded panel replacements. There is a
matching though fragmentary side screen to the north chapel.
Contemporary oak pulpit reuses an early C18 cornice. In the
south aisle a handsome C16 chest with cambered lid, iron bands,
lavish paterae and arcaded chip carving. C14 octagonal tub font,
to the sides are blind panels of reticulated tracery and
fleurons. The whole stands on a base formed from a massive
section of early C12 shaft, perhaps the base of an earlier font,
which is enriched with pelleted intersecting arcades. The 4 oak
choir benches and prayer desk are contemporary, with moulded
muntins and fleur de lys ends. The aisle windows were painted by
W. F. Dixon of London in 1883. Monuments; in the north chapel
a C14 tomb niche with elaborately moulded head and gablet
containing a jousting helm and blank shield. In the recess an
elevated carving of a recumbent knight in plate armour with
surcoat, feet resting on a lion, pot helmet, hands and sword
missing, though the sword belt bears a lion buckle. Also in the
north aisle a limestone wall monument to Henry Pell, d.1667, a
square tablet with advanced Composite columns supporting an
entablature bearing a pair of obelisks, the whole resting on
scrolled console brackets. In the chancel the early C14
founder's tomb recess has a continuously moulded arched head,
pinnacles and gablet. It now contains an effigy to the 12th Earl
of Winchelsea, d.1898, clad in state robes. Also in the chancel
are various rectangular brass panels with raised letter
inscriptions to members of the Finch Hatton family, Earls of
Winchelsea and Nottingham, and a white marble wall tablet to
George William, l0th Earl, d.1858.


Listing NGR: TF1216347277

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.