History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Haverholme Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Ewerby and Evedon, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0308 / 53°1'50"N

Longitude: -0.3492 / 0°20'57"W

OS Eastings: 510799

OS Northings: 349439

OS Grid: TF107494

Mapcode National: GBR GRM.VYL

Mapcode Global: WHGK7.L2XW

Entry Name: Haverholme Priory

Listing Date: 12 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360563

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192569

Location: Ewerby and Evedon, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven

Civil Parish: Ewerby and Evedon

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Find accommodation in
North Kyme

Listing Text

EWERBY AND EVEDON HAVERHOLME PARK
TF 14 NW
3/23 Haverholme Priory
G.V. II

A fragment only of a ruined country house in the Tudor taste.
1835 by H. E. Kendall. Red brick entirely faced with limestone
ashlar, roofs collapsed. A bank of 3 octagonal stacks with roll
moulded bases and embattled tops remains. What remains is a 4
bay, 2 storey front having an advanced centre bay with to right a
flanking wall terminating in an octagonal tower. Moulded plinth,
chamfered and moulded string courses, embattled parapets, slender
angle towers to the centrepiece. The principal door has a 4
centred Tudor arched head, moulded surround, leaf and rose
decoration to the spandrels. A pair of half glazed doors with
Tudoresque glazing bars and blank panelled bases. Above a
moulded string course and fretted parapet. Moulded and pointed
inner doorway, collapsed quadrupartite ribbed vault in porch,
single fixed sidelights. To left a single 2 light window, 4
centred arched heads, moulded transom. To right are 2 single
windows and a 2 light window, also a shield bearing the arms of
St. Gilbert of Sempringham. To first floor are a pair of 2 light
windows above the porch with 3 single light windows to the right.
The second storey of the centrepiece contains a further pair of
matching 2 light windows. In the 2 upper stages of the right
hand tower, single light windows occur in alternating directions
and in the inner angle is a taller octagonal stair turret, also
embattled. All windows have deeply chamfered rectangular
surrounds, moulded Tudor arched heads, sunk spandrels and roll
moulded mullions. The rear of the building is entirely of red
brick and some straight joints suggest that elements of the house
of 1780 may have been reused during the 1835 reconstruction. The
interior is much reduced and the floors are collapsed. Fragments
only remain of the Tudoresque plasterwork which consisted of full
height arched blank panels in the hall. Some shutters remain and
the doors and windows have bald roll moulded wooden architraves.
In the ground floor chamber of the tower the original dark green
painted plaster finish is exposed. This was the site of a
Gilbertine priory founded in 1139. A house in the Gothick taste
was built here in the 1780s. It was the seat of the Finch Hatton
family, Earls of Winchelsea and Nottingham. members of this
family are mentioned in the book 'Out of Africa', as is
Haverholme itself.


Listing NGR: TF1079949439

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.