History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Peter

A Grade I Listed Building in North Rauceby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0056 / 53°0'20"N

Longitude: -0.4796 / 0°28'46"W

OS Eastings: 502116

OS Northings: 346448

OS Grid: TF021464

Mapcode National: GBR FQH.KKG

Mapcode Global: WHGK5.LQT5

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360606

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192691

Location: North Rauceby, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven

Civil Parish: North Rauceby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Ancaster Wilsford Group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Cranwell

Listing Text

TF 04 NW NORTH RAUCEBY CHURCH LANE
(North side)

2/56 Parish Church of
1.2.67 St. Peter

G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, Chancel rebuilt by S.S. Teulon in 1853.
Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar, decorative plain tiled and lead roofs.
West tower and spire, clerestoried nave, north and south aisles, south
porch, chancel and vestry. Coursed rubble to the lower stages of the 3
stage west tower, which has a roll moulded plinth, facetted string courses
and stepped set back buttresses. Broach spire with 4 paired gabled lancets
to the base with dog tooth surrounds and 2 tiers of lucarnes above in
alternating directions. In the belfry stage are tall 2 light louvered
openings with clustered midwall shafts and reveals, pointed heads to the
lights and round headed moulded and keeled surrounds flanked by blank
pointed panels with side shafts. In the middle stage are single lancets to
the side walls. To the west is a 2 light C14 window with simple flowing
tracery in a moulded and pointed surround. In the west end of the south
aisle is a 2 light C13 window with trefoil heads to the lights, a trilobe
and a chamfered pointed surround. In the west wall of [the north aisle is a
2 light C19 window with cusped -tracery. The north aisle has a small plain
round headed doorway and 2 C14 3 light windows with reticulated tracery and
wave moulded pointed surrounds, also a pointed and chamfered doorway. The
C15 clerestorey has 5 broad 3 light windows with cusped heads to the lights
and chamfered triangular surrounds. In the east wall is a C14 2 light
window with cusped Y-tracery. The C19 chancel has single 2 and 3 light
windows to the north with elaborate cusped flowing tracery and in the east
wall of the vestry is a reset 2 light C14 window with reticulated tracery
in a moulded rectangular surround. The chancel east window is of 5 lights
with cusped flowing tracery and a circle to the head. The south wall of the
chancel has a priest's door with elaborate ogee arched head and canopy
carved with the Sacred Monogram. To left are single 2 and 3 light windows,
and to right a further 3 light window, all with heavily cusped tracery in a
loosely C14 style. Above is a pierced trefoil parapet. The south nave wall
contains 2 reticulated windows of 3 lights and a flowing traceried window,
also of 3 lights, all in pointed and roll moulded surrounds. The southern
clerestorey matches the northern. The gabled C13 south porch has a triple
chamfered outer arch with paired angle shafts and hobnail annular capitals.
Side benches. C14 inner door has a continuously wave moulded and pointed
surround. Above is an empty contemporary-niche with crocketed ogee arched
canopy. Interior: 3 bay double chamfered C13 nave arcades having filleted
quatrefoil pillars to the north side with additional angle shafts to the
south. Moulded capitals with hobnailing to the south only which also has
engaged octagonal responds. C13 tower arch with engaged shafted reveals and
double chamfered head. Above is an off set C12 round headed doorway and an
earlier nave roof scar. C13 reset chancel arch with single shafted reveals,
annular capitals with hobnailing and a pointed moulded head. C15 cambered
tie beam roof, moulded principals and plain rolled corbels. In the south
aisle is a C14 tomb recess with shafted reveals and moulded triangular
head, also a reset C14 piscina with cusped ogee arched head and matching
aumbry in the east wall with mutilated statue bracket and canopy above. In
the north aisle is a matching bracket and a plain chamfered doorway to the
rood loft. In the north wall of the chancel is a triangular headed doorway
to the vestry, and the arch braced roof is supported on angel corbels.
Fittings: C19 panelled oak reredos, octagonal ashlar pulpit with trefoil
headed panels and brattishing. In the aisles a set of good reused C14
poppyhead bench ends with trilobed panels and foliage. Recut C15 panelled
ashlar octagonal font with fleurons to the sides and quatrefoils to the
base. Monuments: In the north aisle a C14 effigy to a lady carved in low
relief, head on a cushion and plain ogee arched canopy. In the south aisle
is a ledger slab with stepped cross to William Frank, d. 1385. In the
vestry a small brass to William Styrley, priest, is dated 1536; the
deceased is depicted in full mass vestments. On the north wall of the
chancel is an elaborate alabaster wall monument in the Gothic taste to
Anthony Willson, d. 1866, builder of the chancel. It is in the form of a
crocketed gable with side shafts, fleurons and a pair of angels.


Listing NGR: TF0211646448

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.