This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.613 / 52°36'46"N
Longitude: -1.0553 / 1°3'19"W
OS Eastings: 464063
OS Northings: 302112
OS Grid: SK640021
Mapcode National: GBR 9P8.40Y
Mapcode Global: WHFKP.RLP4
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Last Amended: 18 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360631
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190752
Location: Stoughton, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE2
Civil Parish: Stoughton
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Thurnby St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
For those items listed under STOUGHTON. MAIN STREET.
The street name shall be amended to read: GAULBY LANE
SK 60 SW MAIN STREET (North Side)
29.12.66 Church of St. Mary
Church. C14 tower, rest mostly of 1862. Latter by Dain and Smith. Ashlar,
with Welsh slate and parapetted roofs. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel and
S porch. Tower of 3 stages with 2-light W window, NW stair, 1-light, 4 bell
openings, pointed trefoiled frieze, battlements with pinnacles, and crocketted
spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Triple chamfered arch to nave on polygonal
responds. 4 bay N arcade with 2 rounded and 2 pointed arches. Double chamfered
arches on octagonal piers. 4 bay S arcade with double chamfered arches on
octagonal piers. Clerestory with 4 3-light Perp. type windows either side.
C19 4 bay low-pitch tie beam roof. Wide N aisle has 5 large windows, the
Intersected tracery with cusping and cinquefoiled circles at apex. Possibly
to the original design. N door. Many moulded chancel arch. Chancel has
E window and 3 windows either side all with Curvilinear type tracery. C19
3 bay roof with curved braces to curved collars. Tiled foor, probably Minton.
S aisle has E window with Curvilinear type tracery, 3 S windows with Reticulated,
and the W window Intersected with daggers. Many moulded S doorway. Fine
series of monuments in N aisle. Alabaster double table tomb to Thomas Farnham,
died 1562, and wife. Recumbent effigies and 4 children holdings shields on
sides. Wall monument to Sir Thomas Beaumont, 1631; and Sir George Beaumont,
of 1737, signed by Scheemakers. Obelisk with shields between 2 urns. Slab
to Roger Crosley, former Vicar, of 1633. Further C18 and C19 wall monuments.
Painted wooden Georgian Royal Arms carved in high relief. Chamber organ,
c1830, in carved mahogany case. C19 octagonal font. Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK6406302112
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings