This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5793 / 52°34'45"N
Longitude: -0.9129 / 0°54'46"W
OS Eastings: 473762
OS Northings: 298492
OS Grid: SP737984
Mapcode National: GBR BR5.B0H
Mapcode Global: WHFKY.YFGJ
Entry Name: Noseley Chapel
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190867
Location: Noseley, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE7
Civil Parish: Noseley
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
SP 79 NW NOSELEY
3/91 Noseley Chapel
Chapel. 1274 - 1305, with some detail of C15. Coursed ironstone rubble with
limestone dressings, and leaded roof. Undivided nave and chancel, forming a
long structure of eight bays, buttressed between each bay, with C15 embattled
parapet. West door and C15 5-light window above it flanked by trefoiled niches.
North and south doors and first bay of nave, that to north now blocked, with
simple hood moulds. Shield of Marteval family over south doorway. Side windows
all Y traceried, but the east window, like the west, is C15 and of 5-lights.
Another blocked north doorway towards the east formerly led to the tower which
is no longer in existence. Inside all these Y traceried windows are set in shafted
recesses. Sedilia with reeded shafts and foliate capitals forms continuous scheme
with ogee arched double piscina. C15 roof : tie beams with short king posts
carved to grotesque forms, and traceried spandrels. Fine series of Hazelrigg
family tombs : effigies of the 1st Baronet, Sir Thomas Hazelrigg, d1629 and his
wife who died in 1668 lie on a chest with flank arcading containing shields of
arms. Behind the main effigies fourteen children kneel on each side of the
inscription which is surmounted by the family crest. Of his wife it is recorded
that she 'clothed her family with fine cloth of her own spinning.' The 2nd Baronet,
Sir Arthur Hazelrigg d.1661 is depicted in a marble effigy with both his wives,
one turned on her side, and 12 twelve children of various sizes kneel below.
A large aedicle behind contains an oval inscription plate. This is attributed
to William Wright. Elizabeth Senwicke, d.1673, the wife of the 3rd Baronet has
a small wall memorial where beneath an aedicule two angels pull back curtains
from the inscription. The 7th Baronet, Sir Arthur Hazelrigg has a simple oval
wall memorial with garlands, by William Cox of Northampton. He died in 1763.
C15 stalls, probably 1473-4, known as the cock pews from the cockerels which
perch atop the bench ends alongside the poppy heads, and which are the emblem
of the Staunton family. Ornate bench ends, mostly with an architectural theme,
including two rose windows, but two illustrative panels, one a death bed scene,
the other a vase of lillies on which again are perched three cocks. Fragments
of C14 and C15 stained glass in the east window, some figures and much tracery.
C19 glass in some side windows and in the west window. Early C14 font. Octagonal
with two-light blank traceried arches, each different, under crocketted gables.
The Chapel was first built as a private Chapel in c1220 and was refounded as
a College of Chantry Chaplains in 1274.
Listing NGR: SP7376298492
Other nearby listed buildings