History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Easton, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.53 / 52°31'47"N

Longitude: -0.75 / 0°45'0"W

OS Eastings: 484891

OS Northings: 293187

OS Grid: SP848931

Mapcode National: GBR CT9.96G

Mapcode Global: VHDQP.YNCX

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360666

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190952

Location: Great Easton, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Great Easton

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Six Saints circa Holt

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Great Easton

Listing Text

GREAT EASTON

SP 8493 CHURCH BANK (North End)

12/50 Church of St. Andrew

7.12.66
II*
GV

Church. C12 - C15, restored 1864 and 1889, and vestry of 1906. Coursed rubble
stone and ashlar, and leaded, part parapetted,roof. Stone coped gables and
vestry stone stack. Collyweston slate roof to S porch. W tower and spire,
nave, aisles, chancel, SE vestry, and S porch. Late C13 W tower incorporating
small section of Norman herringbone masonry, of 3 stages, with angle buttresses
with set-offs. W lancet, lancet to N on 2nd stage and 4 paired bell openings
with bar tracery. Shafts and dog-tooth decoration on arches. Corbel-table,
with heads and little arches, and ball flower frieze over. Broach spire with
remains of corner pinnacles, clock faces to W and S, 2 tiers of lucarnes,
and finial with weathercock. Nave arch is triple-chamfered and has tripartite
shafts with moulded capitals. 3 bay N arcade with double chamfered arches
on octagonal piers, one with foliage frieze and heads. N respond has small
naked man. 3 bay S arcade with double chamfered arches on quatrefoil piers.
Perp clerestory with 3 3-light windows either side. 5 bay low-pitch tie-beam
roof, dated 1774 and 1743, perhaps for restoration. N aisle has flat-topped
NW window, 3 N windows, 2 flat-topped, N door and NE lancet. N window has
stained glass of 1856 and NE lancet C19 stained glass.Piscina. Double chamfered
chancel arch with polygonal responds. Chancel has N window, blocked N door,
E window with stained glass of 1889, 1-light over, and probably C19 3 bay
low-pitch tie-beam roof. To SE the Vestry and S chancel chapel with 4-light
Perp window. S aisle has 2 flat-topped windows, with stained glass of 1872
and c1900. S porch has doorway with double chamfered arch. Many-moulded
S door. Inside are small piece of stone cross shaft with interlaced design
and Royal Arms on panel, probably Georgian, but unusual heraldry. Partly
Cl7 hexagonal oak pulpit on C19 base. Pevsner.


Listing NGR: SP8489193187

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.