This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.569 / 52°34'8"N
Longitude: -0.7712 / 0°46'16"W
OS Eastings: 483378
OS Northings: 297500
OS Grid: SP833975
Mapcode National: GBR CSP.XH1
Mapcode Global: WHFL1.4P0F
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360696
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191015
Location: Stockerston, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE15
Civil Parish: Stockerston
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Six Saints circa Holt
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 89 NW
3/112 Church of St. Peter
Church. C13-C15, restored 1887. Ashlar and coursed rubble stone with leaded
roof, parapetted except for N aisle. Buttresses, including angle and diagonal,
with set offs, and windows mostly with hood moulds. W tower, nave, aisles
(beginning 1 bay E of tower) and chancel. C15 ashlar tower of 3 stages with
moulded plinth and angle buttresses. S doorway, 3-light W window with fragment
of medieval stained glass, and 4 1-lights on 2nd stage. 4 tall 3-light bell
openings with transoms and Perp tracery, and, above, a quatrefoil frieze and
battlements. Tall double chamfered nave arch. 2 bay N arcade with double
chamfered arches on octagonal pier. 2 bay S arcade similar but slightly taller.
Shafted responds. Perp clerestory with 3 2-light windows to S, and 2 to N,
the 4 to E flat-topped. 5 bay restored low-pitch cambered-tie-beam roof.
N aisle has 5 3-light Perp windows, the middle to N shorter with N doorway,
now blocked, under. Good fragments of original C15 stained glass. Double
chamfered and moulded chancel arch. Chancel has a 2-light flat-topped window
and Perp 3-light to both N and S, and similar Perp 3-light E window. Piscina
and aumbry. 4 bay roof similar to nave roof. At corner of chancel, nave
and S aisle a polygonal rood staircase projecting both inside and outside.
Doorway with carved niche over. S aisle has similar Perp windows, the SE
with C19 stained glass. Piscina. Small S doorway with 4-centred arch and
foliage spandrels. In S aisle C14 effigy of cross-legged knight in recess,
and in N aisle C13 effigy of praying knight, both very worn. Large brass to
John Boville, died 1467, and wife (his head missing). Brass to John Southill,
died 1493, and wife. Fine incised slab to Elizabeth Havers, died 1634, in
black marble surround. Also funerary helmet c1570 (altered). c1400 broken
octagonal bowl font. Fragments of medieval bench ends, some carved with blind
tracery and coats of arms. Very large table tomb to members of Walker family
with inscriptions of late C18 early C19. C18 headstone from Churchyard.
Pevsner and V.C.H., Vol.V.
Listing NGR: SP8337897500
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings