History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dunton Bassett, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5091 / 52°30'32"N

Longitude: -1.1946 / 1°11'40"W

OS Eastings: 454759

OS Northings: 290438

OS Grid: SP547904

Mapcode National: GBR 8NX.QSN

Mapcode Global: VHCT6.76TC

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 11 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360702

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191165

Location: Dunton Bassett, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Dunton Bassett

Built-Up Area: Dunton Bassett

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Dunton Bassett All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Broughton Astley

Listing Text

DINTON BASSETT CHURCH LANE (East Side)
SP59 SW
3/16 Church of All Saints
11.1.55

GV II*
Parish Church. Mostly late C13 to early C14, and restored c1880. Parts of
granite rubble, parts limestone, with ashlar limestone dressing throughout.
West tower and spire nave with north aisle and clerestory, chancel. The tower
is of random granite rubble, four stages high with clasping buttresses to
first and second stages which are angled thereafter and are capped by carved
heads. Early C14 west doorway with moulded arch and worn corbel heads,
2-light foiled window above. Two tier paired foiled bellchamber lights.
Embattled parapet with corner pinnacles with fleurons. Recessed spire with
lucarnes. The buttressed south wall of the nave is of small grade uncoursed
rubble construction with Victorian porch or vestry added, and one early
Decorated window with intersecting tracery and a Perpendicular 3-light
window. The C15 clerestory windows are simple squared openings of 2 lights
with straight chamfered mullions. Eastern-most buttress of the nave is dated
1622 with the initials IF and WA. Chancel, which is entirely a late C19
rebuild, though probably re-using some of the existing fenestration is of
granite rubble with fishscale tiled roof. The south windows are Early English
Y-traceried lights, the east window a shallow arched 4-lights. North aisle
seems to have been partially rebuilt in granite rubble at its east end, but
the rest of the fabric is of small grade uncoursed rubble. The eastern cusped
and hollow chamfered lancet is probably C13. Two of the north windows are in
a Decorated style with many cusped lights. One of them is probably a renewal
but the other has grotesque corbel heads, and a curious discontinuity or
projection in the fabric of the wall beneath it. The north-west window seems
to be C13, 2-lights of plate tracery. One gargoyle to aisle and one in
clerestory above. Small blocked round arched north doorway. Inside, the
west tower arch is clasped by the return wall of the west end of the nave, and
is a narrow triple chamfered archway with semi-octagonal responds. North
arcade of three bays, late C13, the double chamfered arches are on piers with
an unusual section: each consists of four grouped semi-octagonal shafts.
Corbel heads from a contemporary roof rest in the spandrels. Chancel arch is
Victorian in a late C13 style with semi-circular responds and roll moulded
capitals. Nave roof is C15: tie beams with traceried panels in the angles
with the low pitched roof. Each tie beam has a carved boss representing
angels, a wheatsheaf etc., and the deeply moulded purlins and ridge piece are
of the same date. The chancel is Victorian with fittings contemporary with it
including a panelled reredos. North chancel chapel has late C13 archway from
aisle with cylindrical shafts and capitals. C12 font on modern base. Stained
glass of the late Cl9 in west window of north aisle and in north chancel
chapel where it is dated 1863, with lozenges containing flowers and the
symbols of the Evangelists incorporated. Pictorial chancel east window,
c1880. Some mediaeval benches which have been ascribed to the C14 were
removed for restoration at the time of the re-survey.


Listing NGR: SP5475990438

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.