History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shangton Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Shangton, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5587 / 52°33'31"N

Longitude: -0.946 / 0°56'45"W

OS Eastings: 471551

OS Northings: 296168

OS Grid: SP715961

Mapcode National: GBR BRB.FNS

Mapcode Global: WHFKY.FYRB

Entry Name: Shangton Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 21 July 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360714

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191120

Location: Shangton, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE8

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Shangton

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Shangton

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Church Langton

Listing Text

SHANGTON
SP 79 NW Shangton Hall Farmhouse
4/98
21.7.51 II
GV
House. C17, mostly rebuilt 1837. Ironstone ashlar with plinth, limestone
quoins and limestone dressings. Welsh slate roof with left centre and right
end moulded stone stacks. Moulded stone shouldered gabled and moulded stone
cornice continuing across gable ends. 2 1/2 storeys and basement of 4 2-light
stone mullion and transom windows. On ground floor, from left, 2-light,
paired 2-light, doorway with moulded Tudor arch and 8-panelled Tudor style
door, and paired 2-light. Flight of stone steps up to doorway. 2-light stone
mullion window to left in basement. On left end ironstone is striped with
limestone. On right end a 2-light stone mullion window in gable. To rear 4
2-light wooden mullion and transom windows on first floor. On ground floor,
from left, 3-light window with 1/1 sashes, doorway and door similar to
entrance door, and a 3-light and a 2-light wooden mullion and transom window.
2-light roof dormer above. Thefonner house was mostly pulled down in 1836 and
this farmhouse built in 1837 for Sir Justinian Isham, but the front and left
end walls are probably C17. V.C.H. Vol. V, p 293, and Pevsner, p373.


Listing NGR: SP7155196168

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.