This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4535 / 52°27'12"N
Longitude: -1.053 / 1°3'10"W
OS Eastings: 464452
OS Northings: 284374
OS Grid: SP644843
Mapcode National: GBR 9R6.4LF
Mapcode Global: VHCTG.PLPH
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360720
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191264
Location: Husbands Bosworth, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17
Civil Parish: Husbands Bosworth
Built-Up Area: Husbands Bosworth
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Husbands Bosworth All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 68 SW CHURCH STREET (East Side)
8/43 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. Largely early C.14, restored extensively in 1861 and 1867.
Ironstone rubble with limestone dressings and limestone ashlar tower with
bands of ironstone. West tower with spire, nave with 2 aisles and clerestory,
chancel. Early C.14 tower and spire, the tower very massively square and squat
of three stages, buttressed with 2-light Victorian west window with late C.14
niche above: an ogee trefoil is flanked by pinnacles with fleurons. Clock
in second stage and paired reticulated lights to bell chamber with massive
corbel heads to hood mould. Corbel table and primitive pinnacles at angles.
Short broached spire with Y traceried lucarnes. Ironstone rubble to south
aisle with sillband and limestone parapet. The fabric appears to be medieval,
details are Victorian. Buttressed south aisle with recut Victorian
tracery in Decorated style. Porch of 1746 is a short structure, its coped
gable dominated by a diagonally set sundial stone, capped by ball finial.
South vestry is of well coursed and squared ironstone, with small blocked
priests door with shallow segmental head, and a blind lozenge recess above.
Over this, just below the parapet is a stone dated 1683 with the initials
SB and ET and some decoration. This dates the addition of the vestry. The
chancel is probably entirely a Victorian re-build. Ashlar with plain tiled
roof of steep pitch, 2-light windows to south and 3-light East window, all
in Decorated style, but the East windows are a far finer cut tracery design.
Victorian vestry to north. Coursed and squared rubble and Victorian windows
in North aisle and another diminutive north porch balancing that to south.
Y traceried clerestory lights throughout. Large interior with triple chamfered
west tower arch which is not aligned centrally with the nave. Nave arcade of
4 narrow bays, rebuilt in C.19 in Decorated style with clustered shafts with
heavy and luxuriant foliate capitals and double chamfered arches, banded
alternately red and white ashlar, and with large angels as label stops to
hoodmould. Nave roof is of king post and angle strut construction, low pitched
and the ceiling is painted with stencilled pattterns on a white background.
Chancel arch with semi-octagonal responds. Rood door survives on south. Steep
chancel roof with long curved principals. South vestry arch and Victorian
piscina and stone quatrefoil frieze as reredos. Stained glass in chancel south
window of 1898: A florid representation of the Good Shepherd. East window in
style of Powell's workshop. A geometric design with central panel depicting the
curing of the blind man. Not dated. Stained glass in south vestry of the
Good Samaritan, 1865, and a series of stained glass in the South aisle of 1867,
depicting miracles in gaudy colours. Fittings throughout the Church date from
the restoration: choir stalls with ornate brass candleholders, lecturns, pulpit,
altar rails, reredos panels and encaustic floor tiles. Font also of this date:
octagonal with inscribed panels. Tombs: On the north aisle wall, various C.19
memorials to members of the Mason family, and to Anna Smith who died in 1706:
The oval inscription plate is superimposed on a scroll with a shield above and a
skull below. Curious wood reliquary in North aisle, in Gothic style, c1918.
Hollow pinnacles flank an inscription, containing two swords of John Shenton,
1612-1669, and Austin Kirk Shenton, 1895-1918. Two small panels below depict
landscapes associated with the two men: John Shenton hides in an oak tree, and
the other appears to be a First World War battlefield. Various C.18 war
Memorials and a charity board in the tower and C.18 and C.19 War Memorials to
the Hubbard la Sargue family in the south aisle.
Listing NGR: SP6445284374
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings