History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Second Courtyard to Stable Block with Chapel, Smithy and Attached Cart House, Walls and Gates

A Grade II Listed Building in Westrill and Starmore, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4092 / 52°24'32"N

Longitude: -1.1372 / 1°8'13"W

OS Eastings: 458786

OS Northings: 279366

OS Grid: SP587793

Mapcode National: GBR 8Q5.TKP

Mapcode Global: VHCTM.7QN0

Entry Name: Second Courtyard to Stable Block with Chapel, Smithy and Attached Cart House, Walls and Gates

Listing Date: 11 January 1955

Last Amended: 5 June 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360763

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191490

Location: Westrill and Starmore, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Westrill and Starmore

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Stanford St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Lutterworth

Listing Text

SP 57 NE WESTRILL AND STARMORE STANFORD PARK

7/70 2nd Courtyard to stable
block with Chapel, Smithy
11/01/55 and attached cart house,
walls and gates (formerly
listed with Stanford
Hall)

GV II

2nd courtyard to stable block, with chapel, smithy and attached
walls. 1737. Brick. To west, chapel and smithy, 2 similar
buildings joined by short wall with gate. Symmetrical
arrangement. To right, former smithy, brick with hipped and
gabled plain tile roof. Dentilled cornice. 3-bay east front
with former entrances to left with segmental arches with
keystones, now blocked. To right, a gabled, slightly projecting
bay, with doorway with cambered arch flanked by 2 small windows
with cambered arches. Above, a loft door, and above again in the
gable, a small oval window. Mirrored chapel block to left, very
similarly treated. Attached to north , former cart house range,
with dentilled cornice and corrugated iron roof. C20 fake
doorway aligned with those of main block (q.v.). Attached to
east, a brick wall with plain gate piers and wrought iron gates.


Listing NGR: SP5878679366

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.