This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4367 / 52°26'12"N
Longitude: -1.2084 / 1°12'30"W
OS Eastings: 453910
OS Northings: 282375
OS Grid: SP539823
Mapcode National: GBR 8PW.79Z
Mapcode Global: VHCTL.00JV
Entry Name: Cotesbach Hall
Listing Date: 11 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360766
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191408
Location: Cotesbach, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17
Civil Parish: Cotesbach
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Cotesbach St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 58 SW COTESBACH MAIN STREET
House. Built in circa 1700 for Edward Wells rector; remodelled
and extended in 1720 for John Farshaw; service wing added in
circa 1880 by Charles Marriott. Brick with stone dressings.
Plain tile and slate twin-span roof with 4 gable stacks and 1
ridge stack. Coped gables with kneelers. North front: slate
roof. PLAN : Double depth plan with central stairhall; the left
(W) hand part and the right hand (E) wing added circa 1720 and
the rear left (NW) service wing added in circa 1880. 2 storeys
and attic: 6 bays. Moulded wooden cornice. 1st floor band.
Large, off-centre round-arched window with central mullion, and
transom. Below to left, a doorway with C20 part-glazed double
doors with overlight and wooden latticed porch, flanked by single
glazing-bar sashes with cambered arches. Above to left, 3
glazing-bar sashes. Below to right, 2 glazing-bar sashes with
cambered arches, and above to right, 2 glazing-bar sashes. 3
dormers with shallow pitched roofs and sashes. To left, 1 ½
storey wing, plain tile roof, gabled, with flat-roofed polygonal
3-bay projection with brick band,parapet, and 3 glazing-bar
sashes with cambered arches. To right, a 1 ½ storey-single-bay,
plain tiled wing single glazing-bar sash with cambered arch, and
dormer with shallow pitched roof and 2-light casement. Adjoining
to north, a late C19 ancillary range and an C18 brick boundary
wall, running east for c50m.
INTERIOR: mid C18 staircase with open string, 2 turned balusters
per tread, moulded and wreathed handrail. Early C18 panelling,
moulded and dentilled cornice, and moulded stone chimney piece,
in ground floor room in south east corner. Other rooms have good
C18 moulded plates cornices and friezes and chimney pieces. C18
joinery largely intact including panelled doors and arch to
NOTE: Edward Wells was rector and professor of Geography, Ancient
History and Mathematics at Oxford. John Farshaw was professor
of Greek at Oxford. The house was bought by the Marriott family
in 1750 who have lived here since 1768.
SOURCE; Major R A Marriott
Listing NGR: SP5391082375
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings