History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in North Kilworth, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4432 / 52°26'35"N

Longitude: -1.0951 / 1°5'42"W

OS Eastings: 461604

OS Northings: 283192

OS Grid: SP616831

Mapcode National: GBR 9R4.ZXJ

Mapcode Global: VHCTF.YVXD

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 11 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360794

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191441

Location: North Kilworth, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: North Kilworth

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: North Kilworth St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Husbands Bosworth

Listing Text

SP 68 SW NORTH KILWORTH CHURCH STREET
(south side)

5/29 Church of St Andrew
11/01/55
- II*

Parish church. C13, early C14, mid C19 additions, restored 1864-
5 by Joseph Clarke. Rubblestone with limestone ashlar dressings.
Lead and slate roofs. West tower with recessed spire, nave,
north aisle, south aisle, north porch, chancel with organ
chamber. Plinth. Buttresses with set-offs. 3-stage tower,
lower stage early C14, with plinth, angle buttresses, embattled
parapet and 3 string courses. West elevation: chamfered, pointed
arch 2-light window with hoodmould with headstops. Above, in 2nd
stage, a C20 clock face and above in 3rd stage a chamfered, four-
centred arch 2-light louvred bell-opening with transom and
hoodmould. North elevation has similar clock face and bell-
opening, south elevation has tall, thin lancet in 2nd stage, and
bell-opening above. East elevation has similar bell-opening.
Octagonal spire, rebuilt in 1862, has stone banding, and 2-light
lucarne with a single light lucarne above, both with pointed
hoods, on 4 sides. Weathercock. Nave has lead roof, coped
parapets and gable. Clerestory has 3 quatrefoil lights in square
frames on north and south sides, the north side is C14, south
side C19. C19 south aisle of Charnwood granite, has lead, tall
plinth, plain cornice and continuous band. West wall has
chamfered, pointed arch 2-light window with hoodmould and stops.
Polygonal chimney on north-west corner. North wall has 3,
chamfered, pointed arch windows with hoodmoulds and stops. East
wall has similar window, with headstops. C14 north aisle has
lead roof, plain cornice and continuous string course. West wall
has chamfered, pointed arch single-light window. North wall,
from west to east: C19 north porch, lead roof, coped gable with
kneelers and cross finial. Heavily moulded, pointed arch
doorway with double gates. East and west walls each have a strip
of 5 trefoiled lights in a chamfered rectangular frame. Stone
benches inside. Double-chamfered, pointed arch south doorway
with double plank doors. To east, 2, moulded, pointed arch 2-
light windows with reticulated tracery and hoodmoulds with
headstops. East wall has moulded, pointed arch, 3-light windows
with intersecting tracery and hoodmould. C13 chancel has graded
slate roof and coped east gable with kneelers and cross finial.
North wall has tall plinth, and from west to east: a chamfered,
pointed arch, 2-light window with plate tracery and hoodmould,
then a C19, heavily moulded, pointed arch priest's doorway, with
shafts with capitals and bases, hoodmould with stops, and plank
door. Then another, similar, 2-light window, followed by a
buttress. South wall has string course, and from west to east;
a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window with transom and plate
tracery, then C19 organ chamber with coped gable, followed by a
similar window to those of north wall, then a buttress. East
wall has low plinth, sill band, and 1856, chamfered, pointed arch
3-light window with headmould and stops, flanked by 2 buttresses.
INTERIOR:C14 triple-chamfered, pointed tower arch, with keel-
moulded responds with capitals and basis. 3-bay nave arches, C14
north arcade has double-chamfered, pointed arches with continuous
hoodmould, and polygonal piers and responds. C19 south arcade
has moulded, pointed arches with continuous hoodmould and
compound piers and responds with annulets, foliage capitals and
bases. Plain, segmental arch doorway to former rood loft on
north wall near chancel arch. North aisle has chamfered,
trefoiled piscina in south east corner. Double-chamfered,
pointed chancel arch with polygonal responds with capitals and
bases. Chancel has south-west window with detached nook-shafts,
with annulets and sill lowered to form seat. Then a mid C20
organ followed by a south-east window with nook-shafts and a
moulded, pointed arch, piscina in south-east corner. North-west
window and north-east window similarly treated, with nook-shafts.
Double-moulded, four-centred arch, north doorway with shafts with
capitals and bases. C19 east wall has tall, plain niche to
north, and east window with polished marble shafts with capitals
and bases and hoodmould with carved stops. C19 reredos, altar
table, altar rails, chairs, pews, stalls, lectern, font with
square bowl on 5 short marble shafts with foliage capitals and
bases, C16 polygonal wineglass pulpit with traceried panels and
stem with moulded capital and base.
MONUMENTS: north aisle: C20 stone wall memorial on north wall.
C20 stone wall tablet carved with names of rectors of North
Kilworth, near north doorway. South aisle: marble wall memorial
to Lieut. Hyde Parker Dobson (d1836); marble memorial to Admiral
Dobson (d1847) with shrouded cannons in relief; 2, early C20
brass memorial plaques: WWI memorial, all on south wall.
Chancel: marble wall memorial to Mrs Jane Belgrave (d1800) with
urn and shroud in relief, on south wall. 4, C20, brass memorial
plaques to Belgrave family on north wall. Late C19 brass plaque
to another Belgrave below north-west window. Marble wall
memorial to Elizabeth Pochin (d1831) also on north wall. C19
roofs. Minton tiles in sanctuary. Red tiled floors. C19
stained glass, west window 1869, and south east window in south
aisle 1878, both by Hardman. East window 1856, by Holland of
Warwick.

(Buildings of England: Leicestershire: p. 335)


Listing NGR: SP6160483192

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.