History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Buckminster, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7844 / 52°47'3"N

Longitude: -0.6824 / 0°40'56"W

OS Eastings: 488959

OS Northings: 321576

OS Grid: SK889215

Mapcode National: GBR DRM.G8Z

Mapcode Global: WHGL7.H88Q

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 7 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360831

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189776

Location: Buckminster, Melton, Leicestershire, NG33

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Buckminster

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Buckminster St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Buckminster

Listing Text

SK 82 SE BUCKMINSTER CHURCH LANE

Sewstern
(east side)
2/4 Church of Holy
Trinity

II

Former chapel of Rest , now a parish church. Built in 1842 to the
designs of A. Salvin. Coursed and squared ironstone and
limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
Romanesque Revival style. Chamfered plinth and impost band.
Windows have diamond glazing. Projecting western bellcote, nave
and chancel under continuous roof. West end has central
projecting bellcote, 3 stages, with a string course with masks at
the corners. Central roll moulded round headed doorway with
plain hood mould and shafts with scallop capitals. Studded 2
leaf plank door with scrolled hinges. Beyond, on each side, a
round headed window with hood mould and shafts with scallop
capitals. Above, a similar central window. Above again, a
single bellcote with a chamfered round headed opening and coped
gable with kneelers. Nave and chancel, 4 bays, has at each
corner a shallow clasping buttress, and coped gables, that to
east with a cross. On each side, 4 round headed windows with
hood moulds and shafts with scallop capitals. East end has 2
larger round headed windows with linked hood moulds and shafts
with scallop capitals. Above, a round window. Interior has
wooden draught screen and kingpost roof with collars and wall
shafts. Fittings include a rectangular open-backed alabaster
pulpit with pointed blind arcades and marble shafts. C19 font
with stepped square base, round foot and stem, and bowl in the
form of a scallop capital. Traceried wooden reading desk
integral with the altar rail. C17 carved panel back armchair.
Plain stained pine benches. Boards with Decalogue, Lord's Prayer
and Creed. Memorials include a re-set marble war memorial
tablet, 1919.


Listing NGR: SK8895921576

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.