This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7224 / 52°43'20"N
Longitude: -0.9027 / 0°54'9"W
OS Eastings: 474211
OS Northings: 314429
OS Grid: SK742144
Mapcode National: GBR BPG.6M9
Mapcode Global: WHFK6.3TFS
Entry Name: Church of St Swithin
Listing Date: 1 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360835
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189790
Location: Burton and Dalby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14
Civil Parish: Burton and Dalby
Built-Up Area: Great Dalby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Great Dalby St Swithun (The Borrough Hill Parishes)
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 7414 - 7514 BURTON AND DALBY MAIN STREET
(north west side)
16/18 Church of
Parish church. Tower C13, repaired 1658, nave and aisle 1658,
chancel restored 1838 and 1887, west door and window renewed by
Goddard and Paget, 1889. Coursed and squared ironstone and
limestone ashlar, with limestone ashlar dressings and Swithland
slate roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle, south
porch. West tower, 2 stages, has moulded plinth, string course,
4 gabled angle buttresses, and weathercock surmounting a
pyramidal roof. First stage has to west a giant arch with double
ringed shafts, containing a multiple-moulded doorway with moulded
imposts, hood mould and stops, and above it a late C19
Geometrical triple lancet with hood mould. To south, a clock.
Second stage has a chamfered double lancet bell opening with flat
head and hood mould, to each face. Nave, 3 bays, has chamfered
plinth, coved eaves with spouts, coped parapet and east gable.
North side has 4 buttressed and 3 four light mullioned and
transomed casements with the bottom lights blocked. Chancel, 2
bays, has a coped west gable. North side has to west a 2 light
leaded casement and to east a lean-to organ chamber. East end
has a 3 light mullioned and transomed casement. South side has
to west a 2 light mullioned casement and a slightly off-centre
chamfered pointed doorway with hood mould. South aisle,3 bays,
has 4 buttresses, 2 setoffs and moulded eaves with spouts, topped
with a moulded parapet. At east and west ends, a 2 light
mullioned and transomed casement. South side has to west, a pair
of cross mullioned casements above the porch, and to right, 2
paired full height 4 light mullioned and transomed casements.
Above, between the windows, 3 shields with crests. South porch
has coped gable and plain shouldered doorway. Interior has 2
stone benches and a C19 common rafter roof. Mid C17 south
doorway has chamfered surround and studded C17 plank door with
patterned strap hinges and C17 furniture. Interior has stilted
segmental tower arch with multiple chamfers and rebates, and
octagonal responds. 2 bay south arcade has an octagonal pier and
responds with large double chamfered and rebated round arches.
Plain roof, repaired Cl9. South aisle has the same roof.
Chancel has a double chamfered and rebated round arch with.
octagonal responds, and continuous sill band. East end has stone
benches on each side. Matchboarded ceiling, 1838. Fittings
include mid C17 octagonal font, early C18 vase and stem
balustered altar rail, and late C19 benches, stalls, desk, pulpit
and eagle lectern. C19 benefactions board and early C19 Royal
Listing NGR: SK7421114429
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings