This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7727 / 52°46'21"N
Longitude: -0.8099 / 0°48'35"W
OS Eastings: 480384
OS Northings: 320122
OS Grid: SK803201
Mapcode National: GBR CQB.032
Mapcode Global: WHFK1.JKKQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 1 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360855
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189809
Location: Freeby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14
Civil Parish: Freeby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Melton Mowbray Team
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 82 SW FREEBY MAIN STREET
1/37 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Early C14, tower and clerestory C15, chancel
raised C15, aisles rebuilt in restoration of 1893. Coursed and
squared ironstone and limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings and
lead and slate roofs. Chamfered sill band and eaves, coped east
gables with kneelers and crosses. West tower, nave with
clerestory, north aisle, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West
tower, 3 stages, has moulded plinth and sill band, 2 string
courses, 4 shallow clasp buttresses with setoffs, lozenge frieze,
coved eaves, 4 gargoyles and crenellated parapet with 4 crocketed
pinnacles. First stage has, to west, a restored double lancet.
Second stage has, to west, a chamfered rectangular light. Third
stage has on each side a cusped double lancet bell opening with a
quatrefoil head and hood mould. Clerestory, 3 bays, has on each
side 3 untraceried cusped double lancets with Tudor arched heads
and hood moulds. North aisle, 3 bays, has 2 diagonal buttresses
and an almost central pair flanking a restored, moulded C14 door.
To east, a restored ogee double lancet with flat head. West end
has an ogee double lancet with a chamfered reveal and flat head.
East end has a similar window with a coved reveal. All the
openings have hood moulds, mostly with mask stops. Chancel, 2
bays, has a pair of diagonal buttresses at the east end, with
setoffs. North side has to west, a cusped transomed single
lancet with hood mould. East end has a C19 ogee 5 light lancet
with panel tracery, hood mould and mask stops. South side has to
west, a C14 ogee double lancet with flat head, and to east, an
early C14 ogee double lancet, both with hood moulds. South
aisle, 3 bays, has 2 diagonal buttresses with setoffs. South
aisle has 2 restored untraceried ogee double lancets. East end
has a C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery. West end has
a panel traceried ogee double lancet. All these lancets have
hood moulds, mostly with mask stops. South porch has 2 flanking
buttresses and coped gable with cross. Chamfered C14 doorway
with octagonal responds and hood mould. In each side, a single
unglazed ogee lancet. Interior has 2 stone benches and a C19
arch braced common rafter roof. Early C14 south doorway has
shafts with fillet moulding and hood mould with mask stops. C19
door. Interior has double chamfered and rebated tower arch with
hood mould and round responds. Tower chamber west window has C19
patterned glass. 3 bay early C14 north arcade has restored
octagonal piers and responds with moulded bases and capitals.
Similar south arcade has piers with 4 filleted main shafts and 4
subsidiary shafts, and octagonal responds. Moulded bases and
capitals. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds.
North aisle has sill band and windows with patterned stained
glass. North side has a plain aumbry at the east end. Lean-to
roof, C19, with arch braces. South aisle has similar sill band
and roof. South east end has a square aumbry. South side has
fragments of wall painting. Chancel has a double chamfered and
rebated arch with octagonal responds. North side has to east an
aumbry with heavily moulded surround. South side has an early
C14 roll moulded aumbry. C19 panelled roof with arch braces and
moulded wall shafts. Fittings include 4 C16 benches with
poppyheads, C17 table, C18 chest, C13 square font with a cross on
each side, on an octagonal stem. C19 brass eagle lectern, chairs
and pulpit. Royal Arms, 1835. Memorials include pedimented
marble and slate tablet on brackets, 1711, and arch top slate
tablet, 1734. Marble and slate war memorial tablet, 1919.
Listing NGR: SK8038420122
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings