History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stapleford Hall with Adjoining Service Wings and Orangery

A Grade I Listed Building in Freeby, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.754 / 52°45'14"N

Longitude: -0.7957 / 0°47'44"W

OS Eastings: 481375

OS Northings: 318060

OS Grid: SK813180

Mapcode National: GBR CQJ.9NH

Mapcode Global: WHFK7.R18H

Entry Name: Stapleford Hall with Adjoining Service Wings and Orangery

Listing Date: 4 July 1953

Last Amended: 14 July 1953

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360859

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189821

Location: Freeby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Freeby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Saxby with Stapleford and Wyfordby

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Waltham on the Wolds

Listing Text

SK 81 NW FREEBY STAPLEFORD PARK

Stapleford
6/49 Stapleford Hall
with adjoin-
14.7.53 ing service wings
and orangery

G.V. I

Country house with adjoining service wings and orangery. The
north wing was built for Thomas Sherard c.1500, and repaired and
remodelled in 1633 by William and Abigail Sherard. The main H-
plan range was built for Bennet Sherard c,1670, and refenestrated
and remodelled by the 4th Earl Harborough c.1776. An orangery
was added to the west c.1820. The central courtyard was filled
with a Jacobean style range, and a service wing added to the
north by Micklethwaite for John Gretton in 1894-98. Ashlar with
hipped and gabled stone slate roofs. 11 grouped corniced stone
stacks. 2 storeys plus attics, 9 bays wide by 7 bays deep.
Square plan plus wings to north and west. Main range, c.1670,
has projecting quoins, pulvinated first flooor band, eaves band,
and deep modillioned eaves. Main east front has a central
panelled ashlar doorcase with scrolled brackets and a broken
segmental pediment, moulded 6 panel door and glazing bar
overlight, flanked on each side by 4 glazing bar sashes with
moulded architraves. Above, 9 similar sashes, and above again,
3 segmental headed dormers each with a cross casement. North
side, former entrance court, has an off-centre doorcase with
scroll brackets to a broken segmental pediment containing a
draped crest. A tall glazing bar sash replaces the door. To its
left 4, and to right, 2 glazing bar sashes, all with moulded
architraves. Above the door, a similar sash with more heavily
moulded eared architrave, and the eaves stepped above it, flanked
to left by 4 and to right by 3 glazing bar sashes. Above, 3
dormers each with a cross casement. Beyond, to left, projecting
single bay wing with a glazing bar sash and above, a wooden cross
casement. In the return angle, a single sash to each floor.
Symmetrical west front, 7 bays, has 6 wooden cross casements and
a French window. Above, 7 wooden cross casements, and above
again, 3 dormers with segmental heads and 2 light casements.
Late C19 south front has projecting balustraded 7 bay centre with
a central 2 storey square bay window with shaped balustraded
gable with sundial and inscription. Central triple cross
mullioned casement. Beyond on each side, a 3 light cross
mullioned casement flanked by single 2 light cross mullioned
casements and between the windows, single round headed niches.
Above, similar fenestration with taller windows. The bay window
has a cross mullioned casement in each side on each floor.
Beyond again, on each side, a late C17 wing, each with a glazing
bar sash on each floor. 3 bay north wing has to east moulded
plinth and first floor band, a coved band with bosses and a
frieze of shields and moulded eaves with the inscription 'William
Lord Sherard Baron of Letrym repayred this Buylding Anno Domini
1633'. 2 double lancets with flat heads and hood moulds.
Between them, a triple figurative panel flanked oin each side by
4 shields and beyond by single figurative panels. Above, a
central remodelled 4 light lancet with flat head and hood mould
and above it, 3 crocketed gables. Beyond, on each side, 3
crocketed niches containing figures. Beyond, on each side, a
double lancet with flat head and hood mould. Beyond again, on
each side, 3 crocketed niches with figures. The 6 figures and
niches to right are c.1500, the 6 to the left, 1633. Above
again, 3 cross eaves dormers with triangular pediments on
volutes, each with a niche containing a figure and each with a
double lancet. Beyond, to left, a 2 storey square extruded
corner, c.1500, with moulded parapet with fleurons. On each
floor on each side, a triple lancet with flat head and hood
mould. Above each upper window, a figurative panel. North end
has pedimented shaped gable with finial, on volutes. Central
paired cusped double lancet with flat head and hood mould and
above it, a triple figurative panel. Above, a similar paired
double lancet and above it, a figurative panel flanked by single
smaller panels. Above again, a triple lancet with flat head and
hood mould,and above it, a figurative panel with foliate bracket
anbd a crest. Beyond, to right, a 2 storey range, raised late
C19, with a projecting central bay containing a pointed doorway
with flat hood mould. Beyond, to right, a paired double lancet
with hood mould, and above it a 6 fold relief panel. Above, 3
late C19 double lancets with flat hoods. North wing west side
has area with coped balustrade. To the right, 3 buttresses, the
central one shorter. 4 stone cross mullioned casements. Above,
5 cross mullioned casements. Above again, 4 cross eaves gabled
dormers with shoulders and obelisk finials, each with a 3 light
cross mullioned casement. Beyond, to left, a C19 lean-to
addition with a cross mullioned casement, coped parapet, and a
frieze with a Latin inscription. Northern service wing, 1898, 9
bays, L-plan, has 2 moulded string courses, and wavy coped
parapet with ball finials. East side has a re-set carriage
opening c.1633, with moulded elliptical head, flanking Tuscan
columns and a hood mould with a frieze of shields, flanked on
each side by 2 four light lancets with hood moulds. Above the
carriage opening, a cross mullioned casement flanked on each side
by 4 similar casements. Above again, central segmental
pediment dated 1898. West side has an off-centre 2 storey porch
with a scrolled pedimented gable and moulded elliptical arch with
hood mould and 3 shields, flanked by single lean-to covered ways.
Above, the porch has 2 chamfered casements and above them, a
clock. Beyond on each side, 2 cross mullioned casements. North
side has 3 triple lancets and above, 4 cross casements. Western
service wing has to south in the basement, a Tudor arched
doorway and 2 C19 mullioned casements. Above, 2 recesses with
segmental heads, that to right with a mullioned casement. Above
again, a central chamfered casement with hood mould. Beyond, to
left, 4 bay section raised late C19. Recessed 2 bay centre with
flanking wings with shaped gables. On each floor, 4 paired cross
mullioned casements. Beyond again, to left, orangery, early C19.
Central round headed doorway and above it, a Diocletian window,
flanked on each side by 2 full height wooden glazing bar lights.
coped west gable has large central French window with overlight.
Interior, possibly by John Webb c.1670, remodelled c.1776 and
again in 1898. Eastern entrance hall has to west, a late C18
Classical marble fireplace with swagged central panel. To its
left, moulded doorcase with a broken pediment. East end has a 3
bay round arched Ionic arcade. West end has a late C17 doorcase
with a late C20 pediment. Late C18 panelled ceiling with central
roundel containing high relief figures. Adam style cornice.
Ante room to south has late C17 decoration, with arch topped
eared and shouldered wall panels, 2 doorcases with eared
architraves and high relief foliate friezes with broken segmental
pediments, C18 Classical marble fireplace with fruit swagged
overmantel,and palmette cornice. Dining room, late C19, has to
east and west a central re-sited late C17 doorcase with broken
segmental pediment, enriched wall panelling and to south, central
stone fireplace, late C18, with carved wooden overmantel
attributed to Gibbons, all flanked by single enriched Corinthian
pilasters. Mid C20 banded plaster ceiling. Late C17 panelled
sitting room has moulded cornice and early C19 Classical
fireplace. C19 panelled music room, to south, has to north a
recess with Ionic columns containing a rococo style marble
fireplace. C19 library has fitted bookshelves and to east and
westa concealed door. Wooden Classical fireplace with flanking
columns. Central C19 staircase hall has mahogany panelling,
pedimented doorcases, and dogleg stair with intermediate landings
and gallery, square newels and bulbous balusters, all in late C17
style. Above, to south, a 3 bay elliptical arched arcade. C19
service hall, to west, has to north, very large Baroque style
black and white marble fireplace with scroll brackets. West end
has a 3 bay round arched arcade. South and east sides have each,
to left, a passageway with moulded panelled barrel vault. East
and west ends have, above, a 3 bay round headed arcade. Late C18
former kitchen has an early C19 vault with square central pier
and to north and south a depressed 4 centred arched fireplace
opening. Late C19 first floor gallery has 2 C18 marble
fireplaces, that to west with figure brackets, attributed to J.
M. Rysbrack. Stapleford Park belonged from 1402 to the Sherard
family, who became Barons of Leitrim in 1627 and Earls of
Harborough in 1718. The title expired in 1859. The estate was
bought in 1885 by James Hornsby and in 1894 by John Gretton, who
carried out much alteration and new building. His son, who
succeeded in 1899, subsequently became Lord Gretton. The house
was sold in 1986 to John Payton and is being converted into an
hotel.


Listing NGR: SK8137518060

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.