This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7534 / 52°45'12"N
Longitude: -0.9705 / 0°58'13"W
OS Eastings: 469581
OS Northings: 317801
OS Grid: SK695178
Mapcode National: GBR BNZ.7H8
Mapcode Global: WHFK5.2241
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Listing Date: 1 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360878
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189929
Location: Frisby on the Wreake, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14
Civil Parish: Frisby on the Wreake
Built-Up Area: Frisby on the Wreake
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Upper Wreake Parish
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 6817-6917 FRISBY AND KIRBY CHURCH LANE
15/56 Church of St. Thomas
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. North aisle rebuilt c.182O. Restored and chancel rebuilt by H. I. Stevens, 1848. Coursed and squared ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings and lead and slate gabled roof. Chamferred plinths, moulded string course, coved eaves, coped gables. West tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north aisle and chapel, chancel, south aisle, south string courses, eaves band with masks, frieze of quatrefoils, 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet with 4 pinnacles and setback octagonal spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes, the lower tier with double lancets. Above, finial and weathercock. First stage has to west, 2 C19 diagonal buttresses, and ogee doorway. Above it, an ogee double lancet. Above, single square lights to south and west, and C12 round headed window to north. Second stage has to west, clock. Third stage has 4 late C14 cusped double lancet bell openings, with hood moulds. Clerestory, 3 bays, has moulded parapet and to north, 3 restored triple plain lancets with flat heads and hood moulds. South side has 3 similar lancets, that to east covered by the transept roof. North aisle and chapel, 4 bays has single diagonal and 4 intermediate buttresses. West end has C19 chamfered light. North side has to east C15 double lancet with panel. tracery and flat head. To west 2 C14 decorated triple lancets and beyond them a C14 blocked doorway. Beyond again, a C19 Decorated double lancet. All these openings have hood moulds arid .stops. East end has late C15 triple lancet with panel tracery and round head with hood mould. Chancel, 2 bays, has chamfered plinth and sill band. East -end has 2 diagonal gabled buttresses and C19 graduated triple lancet. South side has to west a shouldered doorway and to east a double lancet. Windows have hood moulds. South aisle, 2 bays, has diagonal buttress to west. West end has restored early C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery. South side has to west, late C15 depressed ogee double lancet with flat head. To its right, C19 moulded pointed doorway. Openings have hood moulds with mask stops. South transept and aisle have to south 2 buttresses and to east, a diagonal buttress. Aisle south end has restored C14 Decorated triple lancet. Transept south gi1ble has restored C14 4 light lancet with flamboyant tracery. Transept east side has C14 ogee triple lancet with flat head. Openings have moulds, mainly with mask stops. Restored tower arch, C14, double chamfered and rebated, has octagonal responds, hood mould and C20 panelled glazed screen. Tower chamber has to north and south a blocked C12 round headed window. North arcade, mid C14, 3 bays, has octagonal piers and responds, double chamfered and rebated arches, and hood moulds with beast and mask stops. Similar south arcade, restored, with moulded abaci. Low pitched C19 roof with arch braces, bosses and corbels. North aisle north side has stained glass windows, 1896 and 1927. East end has chamfered archway into chapel. Roof restored c.1820, with arched tie beams and corbels. Chapel east window is flanked by single C14 ogee crocketed niches. Restored C15 roof with arched tie beams and bosses. Chancel has C14 double chamfered and Lebated arch with imposts, hood mould and mask stops. North aisle has to west, a similar archway with mask corbels. To its right, an aumbry. East window has C19 patterned stained glass. C19 scissor braced common rafter roof. South aisle has south west window with stained glass, 1970, and plain lean-to roof. South transept has 2 bay arcade with cruciform pier with 4 filleted shafts, corbel impost to west, and keeled respond to east. Arches double chamfered and rebated. East window has stained glass by Clayton & Bell, 1879. Common rafter roof, C19. Aisle south window has late C19 stained glass. Moulded C19 lean-to roof. Fittings, mid C19, include octagonal font, brass lectern, traceried benches, and stalls with poppyheads and figure carvings. 2 early C19 benefactions boards. C17 chest and carved box with turned legs. Mid C20 octagonal oak linenfold pulpit and Perpendicular style traceried oak screen. Fragment of roof lead dated 1733. Monuments include semi-circular marble tablet to Nicholas Sharpe, 1614. Marble and slate obelisk tablet, 1840. Bronze war memorial tablets c.1919 and c.1945.
Listing NGR: SK6958117801
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings