History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bottesford, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9316 / 52°55'53"N

Longitude: -0.7681 / 0°46'5"W

OS Eastings: 482901

OS Northings: 337845

OS Grid: SK829378

Mapcode National: GBR CNF.BLP

Mapcode Global: WHFJ9.5KHX

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 1 January 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360899

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190041

Location: Bottesford, Melton, Leicestershire, NG13

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Bottesford

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Muston St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Allington

Listing Text


SK 8237-8337 BOTTESFORD CHURCH LANE
(South side)
Muston
48/144 Church of St John
the Baptist
1.1.68
II*

Parish church. C13 nave and aisles, C14 west tower and chancel.
Alterations recorded 1440. Restored 1875-6 by C. kirk. Ironstone with
limestone dressings. 3 stage tower, externally of 4 stages defined by
string courses. 2-light cusped Y tracery west window. Cusped lancets to
ringing chamber and 2-light Decorated belfry windows. Corbel table below 4
corner pinnacles. Octagonal broach spire with 3 tiers of gabled lucarnes
decreasing markedly in size. They alternate between facets and contain
Decorated 2-light tracery. 3-light Perpendicular south aisle windows under
pointed arches. 2-and 3-light Perpendicular north aisle windows under
pointed segmental arches. 3 2-light cusped clerestory windows each side
under flat heads with hoods. Gabled north and south porches, both with
moulded arched entrances. North porch has in addition stepped diagonal
buttresses and 2 crocketed pinnacles. South porch has set into its east
wall a monument to William Brown, 1761. 2 2-light Flamboyant chancel south
windows and 2 3-light north windows separated by an arched Priest's door.
3-light east window of elongated reticulation units. South and east
windows probably 1875. Interior. 3-bay C13 arcade, the octagonal piers
with polygonal bases and capitals. Capitals with nailhead and occasional
crocket decoration. Double chamfered arches. Triple chamfered tower arch
and depressed chancel arch. C19 nave roof of ties, ridge piece and one
pair butt purlins. 19 C15 poppyheads remain to later benches. Octagonal
C15 font with hollow sides to stem, each with 2 fleurons. 4 carved heads
to base. Bowl has split-cusped quatrefoils to each facet containing
grimacing heads. C15 screen of 3 cusped lights right and left of cusped
ogee opening is so restored as to appear entirely C19. Chancel roof as
nave. Wall monument in chancel to Robert Sanderson, 1682. Heads of
chancel south windows contain fragments of late C14 stained glass.


Listing NGR: SK8290137845

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.