History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Waltham on the Wolds and Thorpe Arnold, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.773 / 52°46'22"N

Longitude: -0.8594 / 0°51'33"W

OS Eastings: 477046

OS Northings: 320099

OS Grid: SK770200

Mapcode National: GBR BNX.5K7

Mapcode Global: WHFK0.RKZH

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 1 January 1968

Last Amended: 22 March 1991

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360948

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190340

Location: Waltham on the Wolds and Thorpe Arnold, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Waltham on the Wolds and Thorp

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Melton Mowbray Team

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Melton Mowbray

Listing Text

WALTHAM LAG LANE
(West side)
SK 72 SE Thorpe Arnold
6/395 Church of St Mary the
1.1.68 Virgin (formerly listed as
Church of St Mary the Virgin)
GV II*

Parish Church. C13, altered C14. Clerestory added and N aisle probably
rebuilt C15. Nave re-roofed, tower, S aisle, porch and chancel arch rebuilt
1875-76 by R W Johnson. Chancel restored 1887.
Coursed squared ironstone and limestone with limestone dressings, Swithland
slate roof to chancel and porch, plain-tile roof to tower and lead roofs to
nave and aisles. Chancel, aisled nave, S porch and W tower. 2-bay chancel
has 3-light E window with intersecting tracery, 2-light windows to N and S
with Y tracery, all with hood moulds and label stops. 2-light window to SW
with straight head and ogee-arched heads to lights. Priest's door to S with
stop-chamfered stone lintel. Nave has 3-window clerestory of 2-light
windows with Perpendicular tracery with straight heads to N, and basket-
arched heads to S, all with hood moulds. N aisle has 3-light E window with
C19 foiled tracery, 3-light window to NE and 2-light windows to N-W and W
end, all with C19 Decorated-style tracery and hood moulds. N door has
double hollow-chamfered doorway and hood mould. S aisle has 3-light E
window with intersecting tracery, larger 3-light window to S-E with similar
tracery, 2-light window to S-W with quatrefoil to head and 2-light W window
with Y tracery, all with hood moulds and label stops. Double hollow-
chamfered S doorway with hood moulds and label stops, and old double plank
door with wrought-iron hinges. Porch of 1875: shafts to doorway and small
rectangular windows E and W with chamfered stone surrounds. Tower has 3
stages and lancet W window to bottom stage with hood mould and 2-light bell-
chamber openings with quatrefoil to heads and hood moulds. Deep triple-
chamfered plinth, string courses, pyramidal roof with weathervane to apex
and ball-flower ornament to hollow-chamfered stone eaves. Aisles have off-
set buttresses to angles.
Interior: Chancel has ogee-arched piscina and C19 arch-braced collar truss
roof. Double-chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds. Nave has 3-
bay arcades with moulded octagonal bases and capitals, octagonal piers,
polygonal responds and double-chamfered arches. Capital to S-E respond has
carved head flanked by lions heads. Perpendicular-style roof with C15
corbels supporting wall posts. Narrow double-chamfered tower-arch with
polygonal responds innermost. Single arched Piscina in N aisle. Piscina in
S aisle with trefoiled niche above.
Font: Norman, circular, tub-shaped, with knight fighting dragon and two
foliated crosses; octagonal moulding to base of bowl low octagonal stem and
chamfered plinth. Pitch-pine choir stalls and pews. Stain-glass E window,
S-E aisle window and W window of S aisle 1876 by Heaton Butler and Bayne.

Rev M T H Banks, Thorpe Arnold, The Story of its Church and People (Guide)
1980. Buildings of England, Leicestershire and Rutland 1984, p.406.


Listing NGR: SK7704620099

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.