History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sproxton, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.814 / 52°48'50"N

Longitude: -0.7805 / 0°46'49"W

OS Eastings: 482287

OS Northings: 324745

OS Grid: SK822247

Mapcode National: GBR CPS.FH9

Mapcode Global: WHFJV.ZJHL

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 1 January 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360956

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190277

Location: Sproxton, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Sproxton

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Stonesby

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Waltham on the Wolds

Listing Text

SK 8224 SPROXTON
Stonesby
27/77 Church of St Peter
1.1.68

GV II*

Parish church. Probably Norman origins, early C14 nave, aisles and
chancel. Chancel re-faced 1667, late C14 west tower. Restored 1875 by
R.W. Johnson. Limestone with some ironstone and lead roofs. 3-stage
tower, externally of 5 stages with set-offs at string courses. Clasping
buttresses develop into angle buttresses at second external stage. West
doorway with 2 orders of continuous shafts below Perpendicular 3-light
basket-arched window. 2-light Decorated ringing climber windows. Paired
2-light Perpendicular belfry windows under hoods. Quatrefoil lozenge
frieze below crenellated parapet. 4 corner pinnacles. Aisles supported on
angle buttresses at corners. 2 and 3-light Y tracery aisle windows, that
to east end of south flank replaced by 3-light Perpendicular window.
Gabled south porch on diagonal buttresses. Arched moulded entrance below
panel with moulded jambs and hood on head stops. Moulded arched north
aisle door. 3 2-light ogeed clerestory windows each side under depressed
arches. Low side window to west of chancel south priests' door. Door once
Norman, now renewed. Above it a plaque: E F 1667. One 4-light
Perpendicular window to east of door, under depressed arch. 2-light Y
tracery east window. No chancel north openings. Interior. 3 bay arcade
on circular piers to north, octagonal to south with, respectively, moulded
circular or polygonal bases and capitals. Double chamfered arches. Tall
double wave moulded tower arch with circular responds. Double chamfered
chancel arch with polygonal responds. Nave roof of canted and moulded tie
beams on arched braces dropping on wall posts to corbels. Moulded ridge
piece and one pair moulded butt purlins. C12 reworked font: inset engaged
columns to stem and intersecting arches to octagonal bowl. Within arches
floral motifs. 3 C15 poppyhead bench ends in nave. Aisle roofs of
principals and purlins type, the latter moulded to south side. An arched
recess at east end of north aisle and a blocked arch in chancel wall
indicates former chapel. Chancel roof of canted tie beams on arched braces
dropping to wall posts. Base of wall posts have carved heads. 8
poppyheads on C19 benches in chancel.


Listing NGR: SK8228724745

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.