This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6159 / 52°36'57"N
Longitude: -0.938 / 0°56'16"W
OS Eastings: 471997
OS Northings: 302538
OS Grid: SK719025
Mapcode National: GBR BQK.X8Y
Mapcode Global: WHFKR.KHJZ
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360984
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190546
Location: Billesdon, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE7
Civil Parish: Billesdon
Built-Up Area: Billesdon
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Billesdon cum Goadby and Rolleston
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 7002-7102 and SK 7202-7302 CHURCH STREET (South Side)
7-8/19 Church of St. John the
Church. Main body C13, with C15 north aisle and chancel and south aisle rebuilt
1864. Ironstone rubble with ashlar dressing. West tower, nave with two aisles
and chancel. Limestone ashlar tower C13 in character but rebuilt in 1862, of
three stages with broach spire above corbel table. 2-light geometric traceried
openings to bell chamber. Buttressed and with plinth. North aisle also buttressed with plinth, Victorian porch and north doorway with hollow chamfered arch. Aisle windows are in a late Decorated style, with almost round arched hood moulds. Chancel windows in similar style and the east window a Victorian restoration in the Decorated style. Coped east gables with cross finials to nave and chancel. Victorian south aisle with Decorated windows and small south doorway with hood mould. Inside nave of four bays. West tower arch is triple chamfered with hood mould and is C13. Single lancet window to west wall of tower. One original arcade to the north, with low piers, octagonal, bar one which has eight clustered chamfers and stiff leaf and masks in the capital. The others, and the octagonal responds have nail head decoration. Double chamfered arches with corbel heads. Victorian nave roof, hammerbeam construction. South arcade is exactly modelled on the north. Double chamfered chancel arch with Victorian wood screen. Steeply pitched C19 roof to chancel. Various C19 marble wall tablets. South chapel vestry 1862. Stained glass in north aisle and chancel late C19 to early C20. Plain C13 font, a squat round basin, with moulding to rim and C17 ribbed cover with finial.
Listing NGR: SK7199702538
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings