This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6313 / 52°37'52"N
Longitude: -0.8231 / 0°49'23"W
OS Eastings: 479750
OS Northings: 304375
OS Grid: SK797043
Mapcode National: GBR CS1.2Q1
Mapcode Global: WHFKT.B493
Entry Name: Launde Abbey: Chapel
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361007
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190572
Location: Launde, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE7
Civil Parish: Launde
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Loddington St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 70 SE LAUNDE ROAD
5/45 Launde Abbey : Chapel
Chapel. Largely C15, but parts of fabric are C12 and C13. The Chapel was
formerly part of the Augustinian Priory of Launde and is now attached as a
wing to the house. Finely coursed ironstone rubble with tiled roof. Steep
parapet to east gable with tall pinnacles. Doorway to north in Victorian Porch
and to its right, part of the shafts of the Norman crossing are visible, round
shafts with scalloped capitals and a fragment of arch to the west. Single
Victorian traceried window in this wall, between the shafts. East window and
the three south windows are all C15, of three principal lights with lesser
upper lights, and hood moulds.
Inside there is an antechapel or western bay where the eastern-most C12 shaft
is visible, and a narrow Early English archway opens onto the present nave.
This may have been the former chancel arch but is possibly the arch to a south
aisle chapel of the former Priory Church. It is steeply pointed, with an outer
chamfer and inner rounded fillet-moulded arch, and is supported on corbels
which themselves are like tiny shafts with stiff-leaf capitals and foliate
bases. Across the inner (eastern) angles of this dividing wall are blank walls
with ogee arches. The rest of the Chapel is a single space, with the chancel
raised up slightly and a north doorway. Roof of c1839 with tie beams and traceried
panels above them. To the north of the altar, the tomb of Gregory Cromwell;
a fine example of Renaissance work, 1551. It is a large pedimented wall memorial
with Corinthian pilasters decorated in low relief. The pediment carries three
putti. The memorial is raised up on a base or predella with strapwork cartouche.
In the central space the inscription is flanked by high relief winged horses
supporting the shield of arms. Some C15 stained glass survives in all windows,
including three large figures in the east window, one of which is St. Catherine,
and smaller figures of the apostles in the south windows. The rest is filled
with Victorian glass (1879 and 1892) Stone reredos representing the Last
Supper in high relief, Caen stone (c1839).
Launde Priory, of which this building is a surviving fragment, was founded
in 1125 by Richard Bassett and his wife Maud. At the dissolution it was held
by Thomas Cromwell and then his son Gregory, remaining in the family until
Listing NGR: SK7975004375
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings