This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6307 / 52°37'50"N
Longitude: -1.1384 / 1°8'18"W
OS Eastings: 458409
OS Northings: 304007
OS Grid: SK584040
Mapcode National: GBR FFL.NV
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.H43L
Entry Name: Gateway Sixth Form College
Listing Date: 5 January 1950
Last Amended: 5 March 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361021
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188788
Location: Leicester, LE2
County: City of Leicester
Unitary Authority Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Mary de Castro
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
The entry for;
SK 5804 SW RICHMOND STREET
2/96 The Gatway Boys' School
shall be replaced by;
SK 5804 SW LEICESTER RICHMOND STREET
(south east side)
2/96 Gateway Sixth Form College
(Formerly listed as:
The Gateway Boys' School)
Includes: Gateway Sixth Form College THE NEWARKE.
Town house, now sixth form college. c1772, altered early and late C19, converted and extended
1931 by George Nott. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roof. Dentilated ashlar
eaves cornice. Rainwater head dated 1772. Main street front, 3 storey plus basement with
symmetrical 5 window facade. Central doorway has 6 fielded panel door with traceried fanlight
and wooden door surround with fluted Roman Doric columns, triglyph frieze and open pediment.
Either side two glazing bar sashes with raised keystones. Above a large central round arched
window in ashlar Gibbs surround with Gothick glazing and either side two glazing bar sashes
with raised keystones. Above again a small central segment arched window in ashlar Gibbs
surround with either side two small glazing bar sashes also with raised keystones. All windows
have moulded stone sills. Left return has 2 storey early C19 blank canted addition, with top floor
added late C19 with 2 small plain sashes. South-west front remodelled 1931, with Portland stone
dressings. Original single window front has ground floor glazing bar sash in moulded ashlar
surround with double keystone, linked by a blank panel to round headed window above with
Gibbs surround and Gothick glazing. Above again a small segment headed window with Gibbs
surround and glazing bar sash, the central keystone links to the eaves cornice which projects
slightly. This front is echoed by a similar bay to south-east end of this facade. Between 3 storey
and basement front with 13 windows, all with glazing bar sashes, ashlar keystones. Central
window has moulded Portland stone surround with keystone surmounted by a coat-of-arms, with
linked window above in Gibbs surround, another window with Gibbs surround above again.
INTERIOR retains some original late C18 features including entrance hall with two segmental
arches with fluted pilasters, the inner one with a pair of double doors with side lights and
fanlight, dentilated coving, doorcases and doors. Left, former Dining Room has original
fireplace and early C19 triple arched buffet.
Right room has grey marble fireplace, dentilated coving, moulded skirting and dado rail. First
floor retains original plan some coving and doorcases. Second floor has had patition walls
removed, but retains original coving.
Listing NGR: SK5840904007
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings