History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James the Greater

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stoneygate, City of Leicester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6242 / 52°37'26"N

Longitude: -1.1147 / 1°6'52"W

OS Eastings: 460025

OS Northings: 303300

OS Grid: SK600033

Mapcode National: GBR FLP.V6

Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.V9CL

Entry Name: Church of St James the Greater

Listing Date: 15 January 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361037

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188850

Location: Leicester, LE2

County: City of Leicester

Electoral Ward/Division: Stoneygate

Built-Up Area: Leicester

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Leicester St James the Greater

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Leicester

Listing Text

In the entry for;
LEICESTER LONDON ROAD
SK 60 SW
18/310A Church of St James
the Greater
II
the grade shall be amended to read; II* (star)

------------------------------------

LONDON ROAD
1.
5304
Church of St James
SK 60 SW 18/310A the Greater
II
2.
Parish church. 1895 - 1901, west front 1911-14. Designed by H L Goddard of
Leicester. Brick with ashlar dressings and a Swithland slate roof. Basilica
plan, with semi-circular eastern apse. West front has central projecting
section, with ashlar base with moulded plinth and rusticated quoins, flanked
by ashlar round stair turrets, topped with balustrades. The upper floor has a
large round headed window with a moulded arch and imposts, and flanking
Corinthian columns supporting an open and broken pediment containing an urn
supported on the bracketed keystone. Above a round headed ashlar niche, with
flanking composite columns supporting an open segmental pediment, topped by a
cross and a cherub's head. This section is topped by an ashlar open pediment,
supported on a swagged frieze. Either side are doorways on the ground floor,
with double doors and fanlights, within semi-circular headed ashlar door
surrounds with moulded arches and imposts. Each is flanked by fluted
Corinthian columns supporting an entablature with bucranium and cherub frieze.
Above brick towers with angle pilaster buttresses, and a single tall round
headed window with an ashlar cherub keystone, each surmounted by an
entablature with pulvinated frieze. Above single square culopas with angle
pilaster buttresses supporting an entablature with between round arched bell
openings, topped with shallow ashlar domes with a circular dormer to each face
topped with an open segmental pediment. (A tall central campanile was
designed to complete this front, but it was never built.) INTERIOR. 8 bay
nave, with narrow side aisle, 3 bay choir with Morning Chapel to south. The
nave has 7 Matlock sandstone columns to each arcade, on ashlar bases with
ornate terracotta capitals, each individually moulded. The round arches and
the rood pilasters are lined with terracotta, the choir has similarly
decorated arches, and the semi-circular apse has flanking marble columns with
large ornate terracotta capitals. The apse is lit by 5 small round headed
windows with terracotta figures of the apostles between, below are frescoes
painted in c1935 by the architect's daughter, Miss Diana Goddard, and above
the vault is painted with constellations. The reredos was also added c.1935.
The walls of the aisles are decorated with blind arches each containing an
oval window with figurative terracotta surround, and terracotta corbels
between which support the roof which is panelled with a central barrel vault.
The choir is raised above the rest of the church with a glazed terracotta
balustrade with angel balusters. The pulpit is supported on glazed
terracotta columns and smothered in similar decoration.

SOURCES
"The Building of St James the Greater, Leicester" by Alan McWhirr. Trans of
the Leics Archeological and Historical Society Vol. LX 1988


Listing NGR: SK6002503300

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.