History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Aston Flamville, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5306 / 52°31'50"N

Longitude: -1.3186 / 1°19'6"W

OS Eastings: 446322

OS Northings: 292748

OS Grid: SP463927

Mapcode National: GBR 7M7.9FX

Mapcode Global: VHCSY.3N8C

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 7 October 1957

Last Amended: 5 May 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361065

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188992

Location: Aston Flamville, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE10

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby

Civil Parish: Aston Flamville

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Burbage St Catherine

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Elmesthorpe

Listing Text

SP 49 SE 3/2
7.10.57


ASTON FLAMVILLE
LYCHGATE LANE (east side) (Known locally as Burbage Lane)
Church of St. Peter


II


Parish church. C11, C13. Nave, porch and tower rebuilt in 1873
to the designs of William Smith at the charge of Sir J. W. C.
Hartopp. Random granite rubble with ashlar dressings and plain
tile roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch. Buttressed
west tower, 3 stages, has chamfered and moulded plinth, 2 string
courses, moulded eaves band with gargoyles and crenellated
parapet with pinnacles. First stage has to west a cusped
Decorated double lancet with hood mould. Second stage has to
west a clock, and to north and south a single lancet. Third
stage has on each side a cusped double lancet bell opening with
hood mould. Nave, 3 bays, has on each side 3 buttresses.
Chamfered plinth, moulded sill band, coped gable with finial.
North side has a re-set central C11 window, flanked to left by an
intersecting triple lancet and to. right by a Decorated double
lancet, both with hood moulds. South side has to the east of the
porch, 2 similar lancets, and to the west, a Decorated single
lancet, all with hood moulds. Chancel, 2 bays, has moulded sill
band, chamfered eaves and coped gable with finial. East end has
a C19 triple lancet with intersecting tracery and hood mould.
South side has to west a C13 chamfered lancet and to east a C19
triple lancet with intersecting tracery and hood mould. South
porch has chamfered sill band, coved eaves with bosses, and coped
gable with kneelers and finial. Double chamfered and rebated
south doorway with shafts with crocketed capitals. Pair of C19
traceried wooden gates. In each side, a single shouldered
lancet. Interior has common rafter roof and doorway with
filleted roll mould and hood mould. Grained close boarded door.
Double chamfered and rebated tower arch has facetted conical
imposts. Nave has a south east window with stained glass, 1864,
and arch braced roof with collars and spine beam. Chancel has a
C19 double rebated arch with painted text, and half-round
responds. North west window has stained glass, 1909. East end
has an oak panelled dado, 1957, and a stained glass window by
Hardman, 1868. South side has to east a C13 filleted roll
moulded piscina, and to west, a stained glass window, 1846. C19
king post roof with struts and traceried spandrels. Fittings
include a square alabaster font, 1864, on multiple shafts, with
biblical scenes in relief on each side, and figures in niches at
each corner. Early C18 altar table with shaped apron, early C18
altar rail with turned newels, C19 traceried octagonal oak pulpit
and panelled stalls and benches. Memorials include alabaster
chest tomb with shield panels and incised slab lid, to Sir
William Turville, 1552. Kneeling male figure, alabaster, early
C17. Pedimented marble wall monument with figure in roundel and
inscribed panel with reeded surround, to members of the Cradock-
Hartopp family, 1767. Wall monument in the form of a Gothic
niche, marble, 1833. Draped Classical marble and slate tablet, by
Male and Son, 1843. 4 brasses, C19 and C20.


Listing NGR: SP4632292748

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.