History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II Listed Building in Kilby, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5556 / 52°33'20"N

Longitude: -1.0884 / 1°5'18"W

OS Eastings: 461904

OS Northings: 295695

OS Grid: SP619956

Mapcode National: GBR 9PT.MNR

Mapcode Global: VHCT2.21Z6

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 7 October 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361070

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188908

Location: Kilby, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE18

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby

Civil Parish: Kilby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Kilby St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Great Glen

Listing Text

KILBY
SP69 NW MAIN STREET (North Side)

2/38 Church of St. Mary Magdalene

7.10.57

GV II

Parish Church. 1858 by Joseph Goddard. Random granite rubble with ashlar
dressings. Swithland slate roof. Nave and chancel in one, western bellcote
on very steep west gable. Lean-to north aisle. Paired lancets and oculus set
in shallow embrasure in west wall. Nave buttressed to east and west. Wide
buttressed south porch in Decorated style where the moulding of the archway
died into plan chamfered jambs. Fenestration is combination of single and
paired lancets. 3 grouped eastern lancets. Paired lancets to north aisle.
Wide internal space with no chancel arch and a 5 bay north arcade with
cylindrical shafts and double chamfered arches. Steep roof with long curved
principals supporting a collar. Rubble behind altar said to survive from
earlier church. Fittings all contemporary: Pews, pulpit, etc. Stained glass
in the south east window, by Holland and Sons of Warwick, 1855. Scenes from
the old testament in small medieval style lozenges. East window unsigned,
1868, The Life of Christ.


Listing NGR: SP6190495695

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.