This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.59 / 52°35'24"N
Longitude: -1.208 / 1°12'28"W
OS Eastings: 453753
OS Northings: 299428
OS Grid: SP537994
Mapcode National: GBR 8MY.MF9
Mapcode Global: WHDJP.F508
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 7 October 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361072
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188927
Location: Enderby, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE19
Civil Parish: Enderby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Enderby with Lubbesthorpe St John Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
ENDERBY BLABY ROAD
9/7 Church of St John the
Parish church. C14 West tower, remainder rebuilt 1867-8 by Edward Birchall of
Leeds at expense of Charles Brook of Enderby Hall. Granite rubble with lime-
stone dressings and lead roofs. West tower, nave, aisles, south porch,
chancel, north chapel, south organ chamber. West tower is externally much
restored. It is of 3 stages with battlemented parapet, set-back buttresses and
south east stair. Bell-chamber has 2-light windows with cusped Y-tracery;
middle stage has clocks with Tudor hoodmoulds; ground floor has single light
with shafted jambs in west wall. Remainder of church is in decorated style
with moulded parapets broken by gabled finials of buttresses, traceried windows
and carved stops to hoodmoulds. Aisles have 3-light west windows and 5 bays of
2-light windows. South door is set in moulded arch on shafts with stiff-leaf
capitals. Gabled porch with similar arch and flanking buttresses. Organ
chamber has south gable with 2 2-light windows, and east door. North chapel
also has 2-light windows and north door in moulded arch with shafts and border
of fleurons. Chancel has 2-light south window and large 5-light east window
with reticulated tracery. Interior: Tower has ballflower moulding around west
window and strange arch to nave with heavy roll mouldings on shafts with carved
foliage capitals. Carved heads are tucked between the outer mouldings of the
arch on both east and west sides. Label above arch has restored carved heads
stops. Remainder is all Cl9. Nave arcades have 5 bays of moulded arches on
quatrefoil piers, and moulded arches on qratrefoil piers, and moulded chancel arc
rests on marble shaft corbels with carved foliage bases. Chancel has pair of
steep moulded arches to chapel with sunken trefoil roundels in the soffits.
Similar single arch to organ chamber with carved figure of angel playing organ
as label stop. Cusped piscina with shafts in north wall. Shafted window
reveals. Fittings of c1868 include a carved stone reredos with texts in flanking
gabled niches, an a square stone font with carved corners and squat shafts.
There are also listening tubes connecting the reading desk with 2 benches in
south aisle. Stained glass in east window by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake 1868.
1887 Jubilee window in west end of south aisle. (N Pevsner and E Williamson,
Buildings of England, Leicestershire and Rutland, 1984, p.151).
Listing NGR: SP5375399428
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings